Help! Straining hen!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EEBLACKCOPPERMARAN, Jan 17, 2014.

1. EEBLACKCOPPERMARAN

EEBLACKCOPPERMARAN Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    I found my chicken the other day looking sort of hunched over and I took her inside and but her in a cage. Today I felt her and it is really big where the egg is and she has bloody poop. She hasn't had prolapse yet. Can I save her? Is there anything I can do to try to loosen the egg?

Thanks a bunch!

2. EEBLACKCOPPERMARAN

Oct 11, 2011
    Also where is egg is supposed to be it it is large and squishy.

3. EEBLACKCOPPERMARAN

Oct 11, 2011
    I put her in warm water. Does anyone have any suggestions?

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Yes give her a human calcium pill.the calcium helps them lay.when you take a egg bound bird to the vet they give them a calcium glutenate injection. A human calcium pill will work as well. Something in the calcium helps with the contractions.if my birds get bound I give them a Theracalcium shot which is calcium glutenate . You might ask the feed store if they have any injectable theracalcium. If not a human calcium pill will help as well. I wish you the best and hope this helps. You also might want to lube her vent carefully to help as well. Hopefully the calcium will help her expel the egg. I wish you the best and keep us posted on how she's doing. God bless.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  5. EEBLACKCOPPERMARAN

Oct 11, 2011
    Thanks! Do you know how much to give her of the calcium tablet?

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    You need to oil a finger and oil round and round the egg inside until it's unstuck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by