HELP strange illness

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jak2002003, Dec 19, 2012.

1. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    One of my rooster is very sick today. He is a pet bird and I want to help him, I just don't know what disease he has.

He has had very watery eyes for a couple of weeks. They are not swollen or sore. The don't have bubbles in them. It looks like he is crying. He seems worse in the morning, and in the afternoon his eyes look almost normal. He seemed to be getting better.

When I went to check on him this morning I was shocked to see lots of thick mucus dripping out of his beak. It look like what we get when we get a bad cold! Its a bit milky colour and transparent - and very thick like slime.

The strange thing is he is not acting sick at all. He is not hunched up, he is still running about mating with the hens and crowing, flapping his wings and eating lots His breathing is normal, he is not coughing or sneezing or shaking his head. I can not understand it.

Anyone know what this might be? All the other chickens and roosters are fine.

I am so worried about him.

2. babsbag

babsbag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    Anderson, CA
    I don't really want to just say he has a cold, but chickens are prone to respiratory problems and there are many of them he could have.

If he were mine he would get a shot of Tylan 50 or Tylan 200. It works great on respiratory problems. Birds don't usually show that they are sick until they are really really really sick so I would treat him now while he still acts normal

Hope he gets better for you.

3. jak2002003

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    thank you. I can not get any injection stuff here in my village. I live in Thailand. Its very basic around here!

I went to the shop that sells the chicken food and I got a packet of powder to add to the drinking water. It makes the water go red. They told me how much to put in and said it was for 'colds'.

I have to give it in his water for 5 - 7 days.

Hopefully this will work.

4. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV

I'm not sure what the mystery powder might be, so I wouldn't advise combining what I suggest for all chickens -- apple cider vinegar, at the rate of four teaspoons to the gallon, but not in galvanized metal containers (and I wouldn't put the mystery powder in 'em either, as it may be acidic as well).

The tannin in ACV reduces the viscosity of mucus, which helps them more easily expel it, and 'cuts through' the coatings in the mouth, throat and intestines, which improves the uptake of nutrients/vitamins. It also creates a more hostile environment for internal parasites, boosts their immune system, treats birds suffering intoxification by the toxins botulism produces, and lots of other good stuff, w/o ever harming a single feather ~'-)

Since you don't know the chemistry of the powder involved, I would not eat the eggs for a while (assuming you're giving this to your entire flock).

5. jak2002003

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    I am just giving this stuff to him. I have him under a large wicker basket with his food and water and a perch. He hates it in there, but I think he needs a break form chasing the hens and bossing the other roosters about (he is top roo).

The medicine is a powder to add to the drinking water called

Bio + B12.

It says it can be used for ducks, chickens and pigs.

It was difficult to work out the correct dose as one 20g sachet treats 10 liters of water. He can not drink that much in a day, and I am not sure how long before it 'goes off' if I make up a lot and use over the week. So I just used a small amount in his water cup.

6. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    That's a Vitamin B12 (cobalamin) supplement ... we humans normally store years worth of it in our livers, as it's function is primarily dna and nerve related. Certainly won't hurt eggs. It is a water soluble, so excess should be expelled, but I'd be cautious of givin' too much.

Keepin' him away from the rest is a good idea, so he can't spread the what may be a secondary bacterial infection ... that's where the ACV comes in, as it will break down the mucus, so that it's thinner, and he can shake it out better. You could give him (and the flock) a boost to their vitamins just by supplementing their diet w/ some fruits & vegetables, and greens (doesn't take a whole lot ~'-)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by