HELP! Strange Sounds from our Hen, Is this a normal Chicken Sound?

bmarsh011

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 22, 2013
0.jpg

Check to see if she has something stuck in her throat. If there is nothing there,watch her for a respiratory infections as she appears to be sneezing and i noticed she is scratching at her face as if something is irritating her.

Is there any discharge from eyes/nostrils?

Last edited:
The sounds she is making is known as stridor, and of course she's sneezing. Stridor is a symptom of upper airway obstruction. It could be from a foreign body she has lodged in there or some type of tissue obstruction the airway/throat. Diseases such ILT, infectious bronchitis, and Newcastles disease (rare in the US), and gapeworm (rare) could cause this. Check the inside of her beak and throat for any odd patches of yellow, white, or gray. If you can take her to the vet, I would. Watch for any other symptoms such as watery eyes or bubbles in eyes, nasal mucus, bloody mucus, bad odor, and swelling of the eye or face. Here is a list of diseases and symptoms in this link: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:
Did you ever figure out what the issue was? I came on here tonight to look up the exact same thing. Thanks so much for posting the video...nothing like trying to "describe" a chicken noise on google! I've got my fingers crossed that things turned out ok. Our older (probably 2-3 year old) hen started making this noise tonight--have never heard it before. She's got the sneezes and keeps shaking her head to clear her nose, but otherwise seems fine. She's eating, pooping, and scratching around as usual. Our weather her has been a bit sketchy of late. Last week we were in the 70's, but yesterday and today 50's and damp. We've got some allergens floating around here from early spring-like conditions, so I'm hoping it's just that. Hope you're checking back and can give us a follow-up. We're city folks and our local vets don't treat fowl. :(

I think Eggcessive has the truth of it, of what the chickens problem is. Either that or it has watched too much Stephen King and is saying redrum :eek:

In case anyone finds their way to this thread and is worrying that something is terribly wrong with their chicken, I thought I would post a follow up. This may not always be the case, but our chicken that was making a noise just like the one in the video turned out just fine. I'm guessing it was either the weather (hot then damp and cold) or she got something stuck in there. Either way, she went to bed and was fine by the next day. Chickens are strange, but wonderful creatures!

Here is what we did, after lots of research, and talking to "Chicken Experts" Our hen is Well & Fine now. Thank you all for your suggestions.

0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom