Help. .. Such random places! !!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wyochick98, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Wyochick98

Wyochick98 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2014
    So here's my deal. I have 19 chickens and they are all taking a break because of winter other than 1 certain somebody which I haven't pinpointed!!! They have beautiful milk crate nests to lay in but they are always everywhere other than in the nests. She keeps laying in the most random places like right in front of the door, under the waterer. In the rafters... HELP what can I do to get them to lay where she needs to?? Are my nests to small or does that even matter??? Any help would be appreciated :)

2. Naser

Naser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    But dummy eggs, golf balls or something similar in one nesting box closest to her and close other next boxes. try to find who is laying, in the morning put her in the nesting box and put some chicken wire around the entry of the box, that will force her to lay in the nesting box

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Dummy eggs are always good to try....Trapping her in the nest might just cause more stress, which can also impede laying and might put her off the that nests forever.

Was she laying in the milk crates before her 'break'?
    More info about your flock, coop nests, range habits would help.

4. Wyochick98

May 5, 2014
    I have used golf balls for over a month and nothing helps. She whichever one SHE is is a new layer this year and hasn't laid 1 in the milk crate nests
    I have 8 nests always with fresh hay. 5 Americanas and 5 arucanas, 2"blue/gray" hens (no idea the breed) then 5 Reds and 2 roosters. They don't get to range much other than a chicken yard connected to the coop because we have lots of coyotes where we live. Thanks for the comments already they are appreciated! I will pay pics if I can figure out how

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Are all your chickens under a year old?
    Have any of them ever laid in the milk crate nests?

They might not like the nests, standard milk crates are about the minimum size for comfy nests IMO.
    Some birds might prefer a more closed in nest box.

I built this 14"W x 16"D x 16"H portable nest when my pullet wouldn't use the 5 gallon bucket nest.
    They all love it, lots of room to get in and scratch around for a comfy sit.
    [​IMG]

The bucket nest was just too small to turn around in....and she's a small bird.
    [​IMG]

6. Wyochick98

May 5, 2014
    Yes they are 8.5 months old. And that makes a lot of sense because they area lot bigger than some of my other chickens! ! I love the pic you posted. That is amazing that you built that. I'm going to have to build something similar :) Thanks for the info I think your correct on she is a large chicken and needs more space! !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by