HELP: Sudden Wheezing

Krjsteinmetz

Hatching
Oct 5, 2020
My 5 month old silkie suddenly started wheezing really bad today. I was hanging out with her yesterday and she was totally normal. No mites/lice, her crop feels normal, and her mouth and throat have no blockages or anything in it that looks abnormal. She’s not acting lethargic and she ate some scrambled egg that I made for her earlier. Any ideas what this could be or what I should do? So far I’ve separated her somewhere warm and put vetrx around her nostrils. Not sure if this matters but she’s been staying in my garage with 3 other silkies because the lady I got them from 2 months ago kept them under a heat lamp since they were hatched and she told me they weren’t adjusted to the winter so they needed heat until spring.

Last edited:
It sounds like she could be having stridor. A video might help, and those need to be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here. Stridor is a loud wheezing sound that occurs when a small piece of feed gets stuck in the airway. It sometimes can be from a mucus plug or swelling in the airway. If feed is stuck, this sound may clear within a few hours or overnight. If it doesn’t clear, and you hear sneezing, see head shaking, or see nasal or eye drainage, then it may be a respiratory disease. Here is a video of a silkie with stridor, so let us know if that is what you are hearing:

It sounds like she could be having stridor. A video might help, and those need to be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here. Stridor is a loud wheezing sound that occurs when a small piece of feed gets stuck in the airway. It sometimes can be from a mucus plug or swelling in the airway. If feed is stuck, this sound may clear within a few hours or overnight. If it doesn’t clear, and you hear sneezing, see head shaking, or see nasal or eye drainage, then it may be a respiratory disease. Here is a video of a silkie with stridor, so let us know if that is what you are hearing:

I’m so sorry but I pressed on the video and it was all the way up and I laughed a little :/

Wheezing can be caused by many things from a respiratory infection or something stuck in her throat/airway. Have you checked to see if anything is blocking or trachea (airway, windpipe)? I agree that a video of your Silkie would help a lot.

Yes that is exactly what she sounds like. I hope that’s all is it. Thank you for the help!
Wheezing can be caused by many things from a respiratory infection or something stuck in her throat/airway. Have you checked to see if anything is blocking or trachea (airway, windpipe)? I agree that a video of your Silkie would help a lot.
She’s back to normal today. No wheezing so I think she just had some food stuck in her throat. Thank you for the help!

Back
Top Bottom