Help! Suddenly realised turner wasn't on!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jetblack2004, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    East Sussex
    Hello BYC
    I have a Brinsea Octagon 20 incubator and I had some eggs in it. Today I went to take the eggs off the cradle. Everything seemed fine until I went to the plug socket and realised it was off. I'm pretty sure It was off all the time (so 18 days). Is there any chance the eggs could be perfectly fine? Or will they either not hatch or be really deformed.
    I'm so irritated I didn't notice earlier. Is there any chance of survival for the chicks?
    Thank you,
    -Jet

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Ouch! That's definitely not the kind of discovery you want to have when you're that far along in incubation. [​IMG]

I think there's definitely a chance for survival for your chicks, though there's both a chance of the eggs (or at least some) hatching successfully without developmental problems, as well as a chance that they won't. There's a lengthy thread here about the "to turn or not to turn" debate that you may find interesting: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/32715/do-not-turn-eggs-what-do-you-think.

I hope you have a good hatch! [​IMG] Please update us on your results.

3. Jetblack2004

Feb 22, 2016
    East Sussex
    Thank you for the reply- perhaps there is some hope for the little chicks.

They are due to hatch in 3 days so I'll tell you how it goes!

-Jet

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  4. Nyla

Nyla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2017
    Griffith, Indiana
    I just wanted to chime in and say, there has been many times were my egg turner stopped working or burned up within a week to a couple days before hatching. I didn't turn the eggs either, because I was either busy with work or other things. And most of my eggs hatched too. So have hope and patience!

5. Jetblack2004

Feb 22, 2016
    East Sussex
    Thanks Nyla!
    -Jet

6. AllynTal

AllynTal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2014
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    That is an alarming discovery, but whatever it is going to be, it's out of your hands now. Keep in mind that all the fuss we go through with the incubators is to try to create optimum conditions for hatching. Momma hens hatch chicks all the time under less than optimum conditions, so hang in there. I'll be checking back to see the outcome and I'm rooting for you to have a good hatch. :)

7. Nyla

Nyla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2017
    Griffith, Indiana
    How did the hatch go?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by