Help! Suddenly Sick Adult Guinea Fowl

FloFowl

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 20, 2013
So when I went out to feed all the animals this morning one of my guineas did not run for the food like the rest. He(still uncertain which are hes or shes 5 total in pen) still came forward but didnt eat. He was aleep standing up in the sun most of the day but I did notice his neck is drawn in and his feathers are ruffled. This afternoon when I was feeding them, I noticed he is doing some kind of weird "S" curve thing almost like swaying but only with neck and head. He was fine yesterday, the rest are normal. He was wormed with Wyzine 2 weeks ago. The only two things changed are 1.someone just layed first egg today 2. moved the old rooster out and put a new polish rooster in 2 days ago. We have had all these birds 2+months and so hoping not any infection that is now showing. If anyone has an answer or has seen this before please let me know. Hopefully caught it soon enough and we can fix him! Thanks

Only 2 things cause this, a respiratory infection, and gape worms. Wyzine will not kill gape worms, its actually one of the worst worm medications out there, and only kills 2 types. If it is not eating or drinking then it is at the point that it will need a injection, which is easy to do but someone will have to hold it down while you inject it with a syringe. These two medications are a bit pricey, but they are worth it in the long run. Tylan 200 is for resp infections, and ivomec is for worms. Both are labeled for livestock, but can be used on poultry in the right dosage. Ivomec should be administered at 1/2cc, and then another 1/2cc after 10 days. Tylan should be administered at 1cc the first day, then 1/2cc each day that it does not show improvement.

FloFowl, I had a guinea that did the same thing but she would not eat and no one could help me on another message board, I found this board but she already passed away. IMO (but I am not a vet) I think my hen had an impacted crop, and the reason I say that is because I got another young guinea and she does the same thing at times, but seems fine a few days later. But she never stopped eating. My other one stopped eating and actually starved to death. It was hard to watch. I think they may eat to fast and cannot get all the food down, but maybe someonewith more experience will help with a better answer. I also have a male guinea and he has done it 1 time after his girlfriend died but has not done it since. Good Luck

unsure myself but had a similar thing happen with one of mine....
I went with the Tylan 200 and on second day she seemed almost normal,
gave 2nd injection and on third day she was fine....no problems since.

happened with a peafowl too and one injection 'cured' her...must have caught it earlier.

good luck!

FloFowl, I had a guinea that did the same thing but she would not eat and no one could help me on another message board, I found this board but she already passed away. IMO (but I am not a vet) I think my hen had an impacted crop, and the reason I say that is because I got another young guinea and she does the same thing at times, but seems fine a few days later. But she never stopped eating. My other one stopped eating and actually starved to death. It was hard to watch. I think they may eat to fast and cannot get all the food down, but maybe someonewith more experience will help with a better answer. I also have a male guinea and he has done it 1 time after his girlfriend died but has not done it since. Good Luck
In my case my guinea stopped eating. I had xray done. My guinea had a serious dehydration problem which caused his crop to be like playdough. We injected him under this skin with 60 ml of saline solution with electrolytes for 8 days. He started eating again and became much more energetic. We are not giving our nasty guinea away that always chased him away. We think he could not get to the water enough. Then he also had 1/2 of a dark spot in his lung. Other side was clear. Vet gave oxytetracycline 2 times. I gave ivermectin the size of a grain of rice about 5 times nightly. The vet thought he also had pneumonia. I KNOW pneumonia is NOT BACTERIA but worms other wise known as parasites. My bird is now starting to eat. It may be possible that your bird is dehydrated.

In my case my guinea stopped eating. I had xray done. My guinea had a serious dehydration problem which caused his crop to be like playdough. We injected him under this skin with 60 ml of saline solution with electrolytes for 8 days. He started eating again and became much more energetic. We are not giving our nasty guinea away that always chased him away. We think he could not get to the water enough. Then he also had 1/2 of a dark spot in his lung. Other side was clear. Vet gave oxytetracycline 2 times. I gave ivermectin the size of a grain of rice about 5 times nightly. The vet thought he also had pneumonia. I KNOW pneumonia is NOT BACTERIA but worms other wise known as parasites. My bird is now starting to eat. It may be possible that your bird is dehydrated.
This thread is from 2013. The person you replied to hasn't been on BYC since 2014.

Back
Top Bottom