HELP! Suddenly unable to hold own weight

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sseeley6, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Sseeley6

Sseeley6 New Egg

Mar 6, 2014
    Hey All! I have a 1 year old Red Orpington who has suddenly lost the ability to hold her weight up. She was walking fine and was able to stand up when I called her in at the end of the day (they free range during light hours) but wouldn't walk. So I picked her up and plopped her on the ground in the coop only to be surprised when she threw her wings out for balance and landed like a rock. She is alert, eating and drinking fine, pupils are normal so is her comb. Her crop did feel a little "lower" to me than my other girls but was full of food. She is voiding normally and can waddle around with her wings and legs a little bit. When I lift her up and set her down she tucks her legs under her and lowers herself down using her wings for balance. I checked to see if she was egg bound and I don't suspect she is. I have been feeding her a mix of egg shells and purina layer feed and they have water always available. I am stumped. Any advise/insight would be appreciated. Last night we crushed up a tum and gave her an electrolyte mix in her water. she seemed a little stronger this morning but maybe this is wishful thinking? She can place resistance against me when I move her legs and her legs shake a little for a bit and then she curls her claws up after a while. Any ideas?[​IMG]

2. CKC Coop

CKC Coop Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2014
    I have nothing to add to help you, but I just posted a thread so similar to yours. Now I am searching for answers. If you learn anything, please let me know. I hope your hen improves. It is awful not knowing what's wrong or what to do. I am right there with you.

3. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I am so sorry to hear of this.

I have nothing to offer other than possible neurological symptoms (age, toxins, moldy feed), Marek's (ragged edges on the pupil, paralysis), or a cardiovascular issue (purple comb, labored breathing).

I wonder if she got a hold of lead? Does she have access to any peeling paint? Is there an old stump used as target practice?

Mysteries are the worst, and my heart goes out to you and your mama.

I'm on my phone and can't see where you are from, but there is a virulent strain of Avian flu going around, H2N2.

I hope she improves.

MrsB

4. Sseeley6

Sseeley6 New Egg

Mar 6, 2014
    Update on my girl:

Got home from work today and she had laid and egg. We put her on the ground and spread some cat kibble (a favorite) around so she could walk around and eat it. She did! She is walking like she can't feel her legs and she is unsure of where to place them but she is walking around. She had eaten all the food her feeder and drank a vast majority of her water. Still voiding fine and clucking away. We debated putting her out with the others but decided to keep her in the box over night one more night. I gave her another tums (apparently she loves the strawberry kind) and added more electrolytes to new water. I hope she continues to improve! When I checked on her when I got home though she crop was full of gas, is this normal?

5. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I feel you are wise to keep her isolated. It will ease her stress and help her recover.

MrsB

6. CKC Coop

CKC Coop Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2014
    Great news! So do you think it was related to laying an egg and feeling better? I know you said you didn't think she was egg bound at first. Also, I had never heard of the tums. What does that do for the hen? Wondering if that would be appropriate in my hen's case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by