HELP: Sulmet didn't work...Can I use Corid?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hokankai, Sep 15, 2011.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    One of my pullets just died of what I believe to be cocci, and all of the chickens were treated with Sulmet. Well, more blood was found in the run today, so it obviously didn't take care of the problem.

Is is okay to use Corid right after a Sulmet dose?

2. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Nobody knows? I need to know asap because if so I'm going to start them on Corid tonight.

Please, I don't want to lose another one [​IMG]

3. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I really don't know but I will share what I would do. If they were still showing symptoms, I would start the corid. I feel it is a no lose situation. If you don't treat, they will die...the best you can do is switch and hope it works. I would also make sure that they are getting some probiotics to help replenish their intestinal flora. I've read that Sulmet is very hard on their systems. Good luck with whatever you decide.

4. hens4thehudds

hens4thehudds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    Hi i am not sure, but we lost three chicks this summer to cocci, and it spreads fast, we used corid in their water and it works well! If I were you I would do the corid asap!!! I believe it saved our 5 other chicks!
    good luck!

5. hens4thehudds

hens4thehudds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    I agree with the previous poster
    I really don't know but I will share what I would do. If they were still showing symptoms, I would start the corid. I feel it is a no lose situation. If you don't treat, they will die...the best you can do is switch and hope it works. I would also make sure that they are getting some probiotics to help replenish their intestinal flora. I've read that Sulmet is very hard on their systems. Good luck with whatever you decide

yogert mixed in with scrambled eggs and we also put a vitamin electrolite suppliment in the water because a lot of these chicks die of dehydration. Best of luck to you:)

6. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Thanks you guys, my dad rushed to Wilco and got there just before they closed. He picked some up that has a picture of a cow on it? It said it was Corid though so I'm assuming it's alright.

Anyone know the dosage and for how long? Well I guess I could do a search for that [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by