HELP!!! Swollen crop????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickieluver26, Oct 2, 2013.

1. chickieluver26

chickieluver26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2013
    San Antonio Texas
    Ok I have 9 3week old chicks this morning before I went to work I went to tend to my chicks and all looked great happy healthy and running chirping their little chirps. When I got back exact same or at least I thought so I poked my head in to fill their feed and upon further inspection I saw a huge lump on my chicks neck/shoulder/chest area!!! I immediacy thought crop came on here and looked for what to do everyone else said the chicks were lethargic,slow, not eating but mine is running around scratching and eating/drinking. I got a dropper and dropped some olive oil on to her beak she got it down I was worried so I also put some food with olive oil in it. They only eat medicated chick food but a few days ago I gave them some dried mealworms for birds as a treat. What else should I do!?!?!?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If the chicks get anything to eat other than chick starter, they should have some chick grit available to eat. Just put it nearby in a container. Chick that age may have prominent crops. You can massage the crop in a downward motion a couple of times a day. Check the crop in the morning when it should be empty. Here is some info: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  3. chickieluver26

chickieluver26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2013
    San Antonio Texas
    Ok thank you I just ordered some chick grit and I'm about to go massage her

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by