1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! Swollen eye!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AParmer, Aug 3, 2013.

1. AParmer

AParmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Graham, Alabama
    I went out to feed my chickens this morning and found a girl with a swollen eye. It's so swollen that her beak doesn't line up. Is there ANYTHING I can do or do we need to put her down. I'm afraid of her starving since she can't get her beak closed properly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    This is a respiratory infection (think mycoplasma, coryza) or an E.coli infection of the sinus cavity. She needs antibiotics. Tylan, Gallimycin, Terramycin, Denagard, and Duramycin are some. Does she have a bad smell about her face? That would be more like coryza.Does she have rattles or wheezes when she is breathing? Bubbles in the eye? She needs to be separated from the others quickly and make sure you wash your hands and even change clothes between her and your other birds. Try to get her to eat wet food and make it like oatmeal. She might have it easier that way.

3. AParmer

AParmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Graham, Alabama
    Thank you so much! I just got back from getting Tylan. I separated her when I found her this way this morning. She does have a little smell to her. I'm praying that I caught it in time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by