Help! Swollen Leg Joint.Broken?Sting?Joint Infection? [PICS]

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 5Chickens, Nov 5, 2013.

1. 5Chickens

5Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2007
    Hi guys i need your help. I have a 7 month old pullet that has a swollen leg joint. This morning I saw her hopping around on it keeping away from the others. She would eat and drink but she would hop on her one leg to get places. When standing she holds it up and when she roosts she keeps it on top of her other foot. I took a peek at it and I can't find any obvious damage on her skin. Its a tad pinker than her other leg, but nothing alarming looking. Shes a bantam and her leg joint is swollen up to the size of a gumball. In comparison to her other leg, there is a large difference. Ill take a picture tomorrow if needed, but are there any ideas on what it could be to get me started on helping her?

Thank you

ETA: It is pretty warm to the touch

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Sorry about your girl. You might want to keep her in a crate or something for now so she isn't jumping on that knee off and on the roost etc, especially if it is an injury. Agree that posting pictures would be a good idea, when you can take a really close look at it and see if you can see anything that might be causing the problem. So far as you know did it just start today?

3. 5Chickens

Dec 13, 2007
    Right now I do have her in a smaller cage with antibiotic water just in case. I will take pictures in a couple of minutes and post them. And yes it just started on the morning of 11/5.
    Thank you!

4. 5Chickens

Dec 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

Sorry it isn't the best picture

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Make sure it isn't bumblefoot. Look at the bottom of the footpad and compare it with the other for swelling and a black dot. This would be a staph infection, and would need to be drained or treated.

6. 5Chickens

Dec 13, 2007
    Her foot isn't swollen at all. The angle of the picture makes it look like the swelling is further down, but it's right at the hock or "knee area". The upper bit of her leg isn't swollen either, just that one bit

7. 5Chickens

Dec 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

Comparing it with the other leg

8. luvmigrls

luvmigrls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Washinton State
    Wow, no real advice, never had that issue. I found while researching my girls issue a site under another post on broken legs etc...something like Avian education ??? Maybe search the word avian on previous backyard forms. Sorry I can't help [​IMG]

9. 5Chickens

Dec 13, 2007
    I soaked her leg in warm epson salt water. The swelling seems like it has gone down just a bit and she was more willing to walk around. I will update again in the morning

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Good luck with her, hopefully the antibiotics and crate rest will do the trick. Does the joint itself seem stable, just swollen?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by