1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help swollen neck and eyes some diacharge

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickgirl107, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Chickgirl107

Chickgirl107 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2014
    Oklahoma
    I have some chicks that are about 2 month old. I just moved to a pen outside. They have been fine for two weeks then one had swollen eyes and acting listless. I moved and gave tylon but didn't get better.

I have disenfranchised everything and now I have five other in different stages of being sick. I have isolated them and giving them tylon they are eating and drinking good but what can I do to stop this???? HELP

2. Chickgirl107

Chickgirl107 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2014
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

3. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Isolate these chickens IMMEDIATELY with access to food and water if you have not already done so. They need to be in a warm, quiet, dim place.

Is anyone coughing, sneezing, or wheezing? Any discharge from the nostrils? Do their heads smell foul?

I know there is a particularly virulent strain of bird flu going through Kansas right now. Did you hatch them or did they come from another flock or hatchery?

This sounds like a respiratory infection to me, which may require oxytetracycline (Tylan, Terramycin, Duramycin). What dosage and how did you give the Tylan? It's 1/2cc per day orally for standard size chickens, 5-7 days.

Keep in mind that birds that recover are not "cured," and can relapse under stress and possibly spread the disease to the rest of your flock. :(

MrsB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by