Help! Tanning a steer hide

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by LAMchop, Jan 12, 2010.

1. LAMchop

LAMchop Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    SW VA
    Not doing it myself... but I'm making some phone calls tomorrow, and I was wondering if anyone here has experience with a tannery and could give me an idea of what price I might expect. I don't want to faint while on the phone. [​IMG]

2. cedar post

cedar post Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Seymour,WI.
    My guess is if you expect under 200.00-300.00 you may as well lay down right now. [​IMG] I know where I'm from it's around 100.00 bucks for a deer hide and that's if it's fleshed. If you have the hide be sure and salt it down if it's not frozen. If you need a tannery they're all across the country. If you can't find one there is a decent one a few miles from my house. Mike

3. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    wow a deer hide round here starts at 300.00 who knows looks like prices vary round the country

4. LAMchop

Nov 24, 2009
    SW VA
    Thanks for the warning! I called the closest tannery and they charge $16/sq. foot. A little out of my price range- plus they want it already fleshed. I figure if I'm going to all that trouble I might as well tan it myself!
    Hope it turns out better than the coon I did a couple years ago. It will be a fun experiment!

5. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    I've done a couple of calf hides and a bison once but never again. Way too much work and to be honest they didn't turn out that great. Pretty stiff.

6. LAMchop

Nov 24, 2009
    SW VA
    Quote:What tanning method did you use Randy?
    I tried an alum tan with my raccoon, but I don't think I fleshed it well enough so it was pretty much doomed from the start.

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I am going to start on the tanning of a calf hide this week. I can't wait to see how this turns out! First step, take it to the car wash for a good soaping and rinsing.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by