HELP!! Teach me about silkies and frizzles...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by heathersboers, Dec 30, 2010.

1. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    OK- I am getting 3 silke roos-1 blue and 2 white 3 silkie pullets-1 white and 2 blue 2 top hat pullets- no roo!!
    and 1 frizzle pullet and 1 frizzle roo

The question is breed the frizzles to the silkies or not?? What will you get? Is it better to keep them purebred?

What can I breed the two top hats to out of this mix to get a decent looking chicken??
    With the silkies-what does blue and white make??

Thanks-

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    OK, first, I would not breed your blue and white Silkies together, as you don't know what the white is hiding and could end up with some funky looking babies. Also, how old are the silkies you are getting that you know for sure they are roos and pullets? Silkies are very hard to sex until they crow or lay eggs, most of the time.

Second, by top hat, I am assuming you mean Polish?

Third, frizzled what? Frizzle isn't a breed, it is a variety. The most common frizzled chicken is a cochin, but they come in just about every breed.

3. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    The silkies are 9 months old and the pullets are laying. The top hats are polish- The frizzles-he just called frizzles- he said they are frizzled and look like the silkies-IDK??? I havent seen them yet- he described them and we are going to see them Monday- he is selling out and they come in the package deal...

4. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Well, if you aren't worried about show or the standard, you can breed them all together if you wish. If you are breeding for the standard and will be wanting to show or sell eggs and/or chicks, you will need a Polish roo for your Polish hens. What color are the Polish?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by