HELP! Teacher hatching eggs, don't want to disappoint my kiddos!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mandapanda, Apr 30, 2011.

1. mandapanda

mandapanda New Egg

Apr 30, 2011
    I'm a kindergarten teacher who is new to this egg hatching thing. Our science resource center sent 28 eggs to me in an icubator that has a thermostat but nothing to display humidity levels. I placed the eggs in the incubator on their sides on this past Monday. The eggs have been kept at 100 degrees and turned 3 times daily. My problem is that I smell a slight odor when I open the incubator. Today I used my hubby's maglite to try to candle the eggs to see if I could find a rotten one. I don't really see anything but yolk (which looks bigger than a normal yolk) I am not seeing veins or a black spot of any sort. There is a definite air sac in many of them. A few of the tiny eggs look as if they have a larger air sac than the others. Many of them look pock marked and a few look cracked. I don't want an exploded egg, but I don't want to kill a baby chick either!!! Some eggs are dark, some light brown, and some green. The light brown and green eggs are small. Any advice on what I should be looking for? Am I just missing the veins, is it too early to give up one them?? Sorry about the rambling, PLEASE HELP ME! I have no idea what to do. [​IMG]

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Best way to find a bad egg is to sniff each one - sorry [​IMG]

3. mandapanda

mandapanda New Egg

Apr 30, 2011
    Quote:I can't really smell anything with each individual egg, just a general "odor" when I open the incubator. Maybe it's just leftover stink from the last person who used this thing! Can you give any advice on the candling process?

4. jcfuente51

jcfuente51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Quote:I can't really smell anything with each individual egg, just a general "odor" when I open the incubator. Maybe it's just leftover stink from the last person who used this thing! Can you give any advice on the candling process?

here its the link for candeling prosses enjoy...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261876 candeling prosses

5. mandapanda

mandapanda New Egg

Apr 30, 2011
    Wow! Thanks for the info. NONE of mine look like that! Maybe my light isn't bright enough?? I just can't imagine that out of 28 eggs, none of them would make it. I think I'll leave them and see what happens. Are there warning signs of one about to burst? My gag reflex is super active...one whiff of a rotten egg will send me over the edge! LOL

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Good luck! You probably need a brighter light if you can only see a yolk shadow. The pics I took in that thread are using a 300 lumen light.

7. llrumsey

llrumsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    I had over 50 eggs set at one time and none of them hatched. The next times I had all but a couple. There are alot of factors to figure into hatching them and I am learning more and more thanks to this site.[​IMG]

8. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    What kind of eggs are they?

9. mandapanda

mandapanda New Egg

Apr 30, 2011
    Quote:Some kind of chicken eggs. I don't know anything about them. The science resource center just sent them to me. The instructions were...keep them 99-103 degrees and turn them at least once a day. THAT IS IT!

10. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    If you started them last Monday it may be to early to see anything yet. Your best bet is to wait 10 days then look again. If you have a bad egg it's a bad smell and you'd know it. You can get something at walmart to check your humidity. They are around the light bulbs and they don't cost to much, I think about $10.00. I'm so glad your school lets you do that. My DS's school will not let him. Good luck and I hope you hatch many babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by