Help! Temps fluctuating in my incubator!!***pics of eggs too***

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by VioletBlueIvy, Aug 2, 2010.

1. VioletBlueIvy

VioletBlueIvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    Hi
    I put 12 French wheaten Marans eggs in my 1602N Thermal Air Hova-Bator. I used this incubator this spring with no trouble, hatched 5 out of six eggs. Worked great.
    So this time I set it up, let it run 1/2 day to get the temp adjusted to 100 degrees. No problem.
    Then I waited overnight to make sure it was staying contant, checked it in the night and in the AM and it was perfect.
    So I put in my eggs. Check on them all morning, temp gets back up to 100 and stays there, awesome!
    So I go in at noon, and the temp is up to 103!!!! So I open the bator for a few seconds and let some heat out, and turn it down a little. When I returned it was back up to 102, so I turned it down again, checked it, still at 102, turned it down, checked it still at 102. Repeat all afternoon and evening. By 11 last night I got it down to 100. Checked it through the night, it stayed at 100. Then this morning I opened it to turn the eggs. Waited, checked, and it was at 100. Checked again and it was down to 98. (sigh) so I turned it UP!
    WHAT is going ON........I dont understand? Maybe someone here can give me a tip?
    Maybe the temperature in the house is fluctuating too much? I have it in our 2nd bathroom, no windows. I've had the door locked so nobody has messed with it. Am I not waiting long enough between turndowns? Did I kill my eggs already by them getting up to 103?

I am hoping someone else has this bator and can tell me this- There is a sticker on there around the lever that adjusts the temp. like a dial with lines on it like a clock. I wonder if anyone knows how many degrees each line on the dial might represent? By the time I got it down to 100 I had turned it down past where I had locked it in at initially. Now I am on my way back around the dial.

Thank you for any insights at all. I just want to get this right. I am so excited about these eggs....
    [​IMG]

2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Where is the incubator located? If there are drafts or direct sunlight they may be responsible for the fluctuations.

3. VioletBlueIvy

Jan 29, 2010
    It is in my 2nd bathroom, no windows or light at all. Opens into a long hallway with no windows. And the door was shut.

4. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    Are there any AC vents? I added jars or containers of water to mine to hold a constant temp. It helps! 103 is not good but not usually deadly. If it is a still air 103 is fine but if it has a fan, it is high. I had spikes in mine up to 104 and all still hatched! All is not lost! Just hang in there and see what happens. After I added the water containers to my still air bator it helped to stabilize the spikes!

Good luck and God bless!

5. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    The eggs are probably OK, they should be able to handle those kind of spikes.

I think that probably what is going on is that the room temperature is heating up during the day with the weather, and the incubator then heats up beyond it's set point right along with the room. That is a big problem with foam incubators, IMO, they really need to be in almost a constant temperature environment, or where it varies like one degree maybe.

Do you have some other room in your house that stays more constant -- a basement might be best, they tend to be less prone to temperature swings during the normal course of a 24 hour day than the rest of a house.

6. VioletBlueIvy

Jan 29, 2010
    Nope, no AC. I don't have a basement either [​IMG]
    Changing with the weather is what I thought initially too. Because It went up around noon. It has been cool here at night, and hot during the day.
    I will put the jars in, great idea, thanks!!!!
    Now what do I do to get it set back on where it needs to be? Should I try and get is stable during the late afternoon when the temps are halfway between the highs and lows and hope for the best?
    Thank you for the reassurance about the 103, I'm worrying so I am so hoping to have a good hatch, these are my dream eggs!!!!
    Any other tricks for stabelizing temps in foam incubators?
    I have emailed the company too [​IMG] I will post their recommendations too.

Edited for bad spelling and nonfunctioning smilies as usual....sorry

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  7. orionburn

orionburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    I've had some struggles with the LG I'm using as well (still air with a small desk fan I put in). My suggestion - get a different thermometer. The digital one I have almost always reads 102. The old fashioned mercury thermo that I have laying on top of the eggs reads 99-100 the majority of the time. I kept having the swing problem too. When the temp got back up to about 101 I opened one of the vents. That didn't get it to where I wanted so I opened the other and it's been pretty steady since.

I candled last night and I do have a few that are developing despite all the problems I've been having. Remember that the eggs are going to start adding to the temps too. Once I have to start tossing the bad eggs out I imagine I'll be back to temps swings until I find the sweet spot again.

8. VioletBlueIvy

Jan 29, 2010
    The company got back to me already, they said that they think it is due to the temperature fluctuations in my home, and that I should monitor that. They also advised me to set the incubator to the desired temp during the hottest part of the day and let it drift down at night.

I bought a indoor outdoor digital thermometer with a probe and have put that it too. I can scroll back through the individual readings so I can monitor any fluctuations.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by