Help! terramycin made eye worse yesterday! what else can i use

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lab44, May 30, 2010.

1. lab44

lab44 New Egg

May 30, 2010
    I have a young chicken with a eye infection. Its swollen shut with cottage cheese like discharge what do I do?

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  2. arch_cpj

arch_cpj Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    medina county
    TSC carries some antibiotic eye ointment a bit of that on the eye 4 times a day and also if shes drinking and eating some antibiotic in her water if not an injection of pcn or tylan may help

3. Swampwood

Swampwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Krotz Springs, LA
    ^ What he said

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Does she have any other spots on her comb and face that are abnormal?

5. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

If you have any polysporin on hand you can start with that. Terrimycin eye ointment often has to be ordered in by feed stores and it's better to get started. A vet clinic may have some in stock but they may require you to bring in the chick too which could cost you a exam.

It's best to know if she has any other illness symptoms or if this is just a result of an injury like a peck from a brooder mate.

6. lab44

lab44 New Egg

May 30, 2010
    I put terramycin in it and it got worse & the other eye is starting to swell shut too. Shes not eating much or drinking, her beak is always open & she stinks really bad

7. lab44

lab44 New Egg

May 30, 2010
    how much pcn would i give her ? she is about 4 months old

8. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    It sounds like she needs systemic antibiotics. I just finished giving my chicken with her back skin ripped off Durapen, a long acting penicillin. The dose I used was 30,000 units. You have to look at the bottle of penicillin, and see how many units per milliliter the medicine is in. Then use your mad math skillz to figure out how much of a milliliter to give her in a syringe. For example, my penicillin came in 150,000 units per ml. So I used 0.4 ml to get roughly the 30,000 units.

I gave mine injected into the breast muscle. Here's a site that tells how to give shots to poultry: http://shilala.homestead.com/injection.html

I'd continue the eye ointment too, as others have described. I think she needs both. It sounds like her nasal area is also blocked off by the infection (thus breathing through her beak, not eating/drinking much).

Bring her in the house if you haven't already and keep her warm and in a dark area for a while, so she'll sleep and rest.

9. lab44

lab44 New Egg

May 30, 2010
    I have her in a dark shed -i live in Az so its always warm out. how would i give oral antibiotics if shes not drinking?

10. lab44

lab44 New Egg

May 30, 2010
    she walking around aimlessly bumping into the walls of her pen because she cant see. Is this a terrible way to live? do you think she suffering?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by