Help! Terrible coop fire, burned birds, destroyed coops. Need help in east TN! *graphic pics*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Snozzle, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Snozzle

Snozzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    My friend had a terrible fire on her property night before last. She lost many birds and rescued whoever she could and burning her own hands badly. Many hens died trying to save babies, so she doesn't even know for sure how many were lost. A few of the surviving birds are struggling to survive, their faces are swollen and their feather are singed. She needs help desperately trying to save those birds and rebuilding coops to give the survivors shelter. Does anyone have any suggestions how to help the burn victims? Also if you have any spare building materials she could have, wood, metal, tarps, totes anything to give a bird shelter and you live close to the tri cities, please send me a message and I will put you in contact with her. I went over there yesterday and it is total devastation and the poor surviving birds are just wandering around aimlessly with nowhere to go and easy for any prey animals to get. The burned birds are inside a storage bin right now to keep them out of the elements, it's shelter, but not perfect. Please if you can help in any way get a hold of me!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. showbarnmom

showbarnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    Burns are going to take time to heal. I would suggest keeping them indoors, on paper towels to reduce dust and things to stick to wounds. Also I would alternate antibiotic and apple cider vinager in their waters. Internal antiobiotics will help, and soothing sauv like menthal based cream on the wounds. On big wounds she can use sugar or honey under gauze and a piece of cloth to promote healing. Keeping them warm, eating and drinking and draft free will be important. (I don't have experience with burned birds, but this is what I've been taught to do with burned dogs and horses per the vet I work for.)

3. Snozzle

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    Ty for the suggestions, I will pass those on to her. What about silver nitrate salve, would that work on birds?

4. showbarnmom

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    I've used it on mammals and myself (4wheeler accident.) I would assume it would work on birds, but don't want to say yes in case it has a dangerous compound in it. Hope that makes sense.

5. Snozzle

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    It absolutely does. I know a lot of stuff works on one animal and is toxic to another, that's why I was asking, maybe someone has used it before. I don't want to hurt those pitiful hens in any way. She has them out of the weather as much as she can, but her house was damaged too and she has 3 little girls, so space is tight.

6. showbarnmom

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    I can imagine :( if she has access to plastic dog crates, those would work well. And they could be outside, and covered with a tarp for wind breaks.

Where are you guys located at?

7. Snozzle

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    She has a few that she is using right now. I'm bringing her a few plastic totes tomorrow. I turn them upside down and cut a hole as an entrance in the side, they make decent little temporary coops. She is in Limestone, TN and I'm in Gray, TN.

8. showbarnmom

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    If she was closer I would offer to help care. (I'm a stay at home mom but am in texas.) The totes work well too. Home depot and Walmart were selling the Christmas colored ones cheap. Not sure if they have any more though.

9. mustang56

mustang56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    I wonder if you can ask your humane society for a bit of help....?
    And maybe call a local vet..... ask them what you can buy over the counter for burns for chickens.
    Did she have property insurance.....? Maybe if she's in need of cash quickly, they can help
    her out.... Very sad situation.... =(

10. showbarnmom

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    Humane society is a good idea. Ask if you can "rent" some kennels. Or even one of their dog runs. Same with the vet. Find out if they would be willing to "board" the surviving chickens for a reduced fee. Its worth a shot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by