Help The egg membrane is stuck to the chick back

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stampntam, Jan 20, 2011.

1. stampntam

stampntam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    Help the egg membrane is stuck to the back of the chick, it will not come off, stuck like glue. What do I do?
    [​IMG]

2. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    If all other eggs have hatched, you can take this chick out and tab a tiny bit of water where the membrane is.. You may need to use a warm damp cloth or paper towel and let it sit on it for a minute or two but once it gets moist, you can pull it off.. Be very gentle though because the chicks skin is very thin...

Goddess [​IMG]

3. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    You might have to do it in small stages. Make sure you keep the chick warm.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I had one that I shrink-wrapped by opening the incubator during the hatch. It had pipped and started zipping but could not finish zipping. I broke the egg shell off of it, put the chick in a cup of warm water to get the membrane moist, and gentle pulled the membrane off. I then put it back in the incubator to dry off.

The chick still had a lot of gunk on the down after it dried off. I put it and the others with a broody and let her raise them. That chick still had some down plastered down for over a week, but it eventually got clean. That gunk never slowed it down or caused any problems, but the membrane had to come off so it could move freely.

5. stampntam

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    thanks I will try it

6. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I had one that had a piece stuck to it's shoulder area. I just left it for over a day and when I went to gently pull it off it just came off.
    ETA - Glad to see that the chick finally got around to zipping and hatching! Congrats! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  7. stampntam

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    Thank you, I wish I would have been here to see it, I had to go to work:hit

8. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:There's always the next time! [​IMG] Is the second one out of the shell yet? Maybe you will be able to see that one hatch if it hasn't yet.

9. stampntam

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    no I missed both, they are both out. The one is nice and dry and the other one is wet so I think I just missed that one, oh well hope to catch the next set. I am addicted!

10. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:Me too and it looks like my DH may have caught the bug as well since he suggested setting more eggs for St. Patrick's Day. I would suggest setting eggs next time on a Friday afternoon? That way it would be likely that they will hatch over the weekend! So glad to hear that both are out of the shells and doing well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by