HELP!! The kids opened the bator and everything is messed up

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by justinszoo, May 25, 2008.

1. justinszoo

justinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I came home today to four hatched chicks and a couple of pips. The kids were so excited they couldn't leave well enough alone. I went to make supper and my youngest went and opened the bator too better see the babies. It was prob like this about 30 mins. All of the water was dried out and the temp was down to about 80. I do not have a hygro and have never used one, I have always had descent hatches in the past without one. I have got the temp back up and water back in the troughs, but everything has pretty muched stopped in the bator. Any advice other than just waiting it out?

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I believe all you can do is wait it out. [​IMG]

Next time ducktape their hands together! [​IMG] No seriously, I hope they have learned their lesson!

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  3. justinszoo

Mar 24, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I hear ya there!! I hate the waiting game so much and this isn't helping.

4. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Wait it out. However, unless these kids are 5 yrs. old, you should tell them if their actions caused harm. I used to be very upset when DH let the young ones know (in no uncertain terms) that they had messed up. They are very conscientious teens, now. It will not kill your kids to hear that their decision was a very bad one.
    I wish you the very best with this.

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Oh no! I am going to really have to watch my 3 year-old when my eggs start to hatch. This sounds just like something she would do. I have my fingers crossed for you that everything will be okay. [​IMG] Please keep us posted on how things turn out. [​IMG]

6. justinszoo

Mar 24, 2008
    NW Ohio
    Gumps, I would definetly get the duct tape lol My 3 yr old is the culpret.

I think I hurt his feelings a little, but he apologized and told the little chickies he was sorry. I was not mean, but stern about him getting in there when he was told how important it was to keep his distance.

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG] Oh yes! I will definitely have some duct tape on hand for June 6th! [​IMG]

I truly am sorry this happened. How heart breaking. [​IMG]

8. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    I'm soooo sorry this happened to you. I have my middle DD, she has ADHD and is bi-polar. I have many problems with her, and her ability to distinguish right/wrong. Well, when I set up the bator, I had to flat out tell her she would kill the chicks if she messed with it. Even then, I caught her messing with it during the day. After asking her over and over if she wanted the chicks to die, I finally got her to only look in the window. It took me 3 days. She is very hard to handle, much like a toddler. I am thankful she is older now, and I can reason things out with her. At 3 she was a terror!!! And she has a very high pain tollerance, so she would touch the electric fences, electrical outlets, cut herself, etc. At 3! Now, at 9, we had to tell her the tooth fairy doesn't give money for adult teeth, as she would come home from school sporting a new tooth she lost (no, they were not loose) so she could get money!!! I shudder to see what happens when she starts shaving [​IMG]
    Anyhow, I am sure your little one will leave it be now, good luck with the rest of your hatch! Steph

9. justinszoo

Mar 24, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I am gonna go to bed and pray for good results when I wake up. I will post what I find in the morning. Thanks for all the support.

10. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Um, ixna on the ucktapeda!!! My DH said you be better off. . . (And less likely to get arrested) if you added a small padlock latch to the incubator. [​IMG] Ed: Oh, and an idea for love-my-wolves, MAYBE get DD a battery-operated electric shaver??? Tell her it tickles!!! And MAKE SURE its put it AWAY when she's done with it!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by