Help the Mona Lisa

cra8ychix

Songster
8 Years
Oct 8, 2013
Florida

cherylw

Today at 7:38 am​
I have a 5mo chicken that had a crooked beak to begin with. There was no issues because of that. We named her Mona Lisa because of that! She has some how either cracked the top and broken the tip.She is missing half of the top and not able to pick up any food, or veggies etc... I have started to add water with her crumble. She will take just a bites and walk away, although she did eat several bites of sour cream. I am very concerned. She must be drinking. She is very friendly and I do try to feed her by putting some on her mouth. She just does not seem to be to interested. I am afraid that her out come might not be the greatest. If any one has any ideas... Here is a pic of her before...

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
Happy
you joined us! :)

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Such a lovely hen! Sorry to hear about her problems. Depending on how bad the break was and if any nerves/blood vessels got damaged in the process it may grow back/heal by itself. But in the meantime the poor thing needs to eat. I used to have some severely debeaked ex-battery hens who had a little difficulty eating and I found if I mix their layer pellets with some water and dished it up in bowls, so they could really dig in there with their beaks they could eat it easily. Maybe that will help with your hen? After she ate feel her crop to check how much she managed to eat and encourage her as much as possible by offering healthy treats in-between the food. Best of luck!

I agree with Sumi - feeding her in bowls with a 'depth' of feed may facilitate her ability to eat. Good luck with her.

Thanks so Much for your reply and advise.. I got her to eat some of her mash in a bowl that was recommended by Sourland and Sumi. I am going to mash up a boiled egg. She seems to be eating her mash some better this am. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom