Help the Newbie

Discussion in 'Quail' started by hessclan6, Mar 6, 2014.

1. hessclan6

hessclan6 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Please talk to me about Coturnix weight standards. Standards vs Jumbos. I've read so many different opinions on the subject that I am not sure what to think.

I have 2 different batches of Cots I hatched one week a part. I weighed them this week for the first time. The first batch at about 2-3 weeks old weighed between 5-6 +/- ounces. The other batch was about 3-4 weeks old when I weighed them and they came in between 6-7 +/- ounces.

I recently added a another group of 2-3 week olds from a friend- they all weigh around 3 ounces. He also gave me some mature birds which weigh around 6 ounces.

Based on the weight differences could I assume the eggs I hatched were possibly jumbos? Or are they standards that I am just feeding really well, causing the weight difference?

2. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Here is a link to a thread that one of our members had started. Pretty interesting information.
    James

3. hessclan6

hessclan6 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Thank you very much for the link..didn't see that particular thread when I was looking earlier and it gives me something to compare to.

Is there a particular agreed upon weight that a bird must weigh to be considered "jumbo"? It seems as though a lot of breeders use that word for a wide variety of sizes..

4. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    I don't believe there are breed standards for Coturnix (like there are for chickens), but I have read somewhere that in the wild, these quail weigh between 100 - 120 grams, and those that are bred for meat consumption weigh in around 300 grams.

I don't know what that converts to in ounces, but my A&Ms were around 14 oz when they were 10 weeks old. I did have one that was gigantic, but he was too aggressive with the ladys and was pretty good grilled with onions.

As always, if I am incorrect in my information, another member will point out the error of my ways.
    James

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by