HELP the vet was useless!!!!

lisanhunter

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2015
HELP PLEASE the vet was useless
I have a chicken that has been sick. I found out that she has a tapeworm. She has had an impacted crop for two weeks. Food is starting to move through her now and that is when I saw the tapeworm. I read on here that deworming them when they are sick can be fatal. She has lost a lb but is acting well sun bathing cleaning herself. She will not eat much. Should I give her the dewormer since I think it is causing the issue or will that kill her?

HELP PLEASE the vet was useless
I have a chicken that has been sick. I found out that she has a tapeworm. She has had an impacted crop for two weeks. Food is starting to move through her now and that is when I saw the tapeworm. I read on here that deworming them when they are sick can be fatal. She has lost a lb but is acting well sun bathing cleaning herself. She will not eat much. Should I give her the dewormer since I think it is causing the issue or will that kill her?

Well the tapeworm will kill her, but impacted crop is another issue. How long has she been sick? I would also give her acv. Apple cider vinegar in her water. Half a gallon 1 tsp.

Her crop doesn't seem impacted just really slow. Stuff is moving through her just not emptying. I went ahead and gave her the medicine because I think the worm is what is making her sick.

I gave tapeworm medicine last night. She still has them in her poop alive! What should I do?

Last edited:
Are you certain it was tapeworm that you saw? What did it look like? Large round worms are pretty easily seen, but tapes usually resemble bits of rice. What type of wormer did you use? Tapes require a stronger wormer than most.

My chicken has not had an appetite for about three weeks. I have to trick her into eating various things. Any suggestions? She was 4.8 lbs now she is 3.6. She is getting thin. She will only eat bugs in the yard when she scratches and fruit.

Are you certain it was tapeworm that you saw? What did it look like? Large round worms are pretty easily seen, but tapes usually resemble bits of rice. What type of wormer did you use? Tapes require a stronger wormer than most.

Back
Top Bottom