Help them roost.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Batty about Banties, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Batty about Banties

Batty about Banties Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Gorge
    My 11 wk old chicks are in the coop but they are sleeping in the nest box which causes a problem because I would like to leave the eggs in the nest to hopefully urge one of my bantys to go broody but my chicks aren't very observant or gentle so I need some advice to try and get them to sleep on the roosts........

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Are the roosts higher than the nest boxes? They will generally roost at the higher place. If the roost is already higher, you might try going in after dark and placing them on the roost for a few nights.

3. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Yay Chicks! :

Are the roosts higher than the nest boxes? They will generally roost at the higher place. If the roost is already higher, you might try going in after dark and placing them on the roost for a few nights.

X2!​

4. jynnjynn

jynnjynn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2010
    Yay Chicks! :

I tried this with a few of mine that wouldn't roost and found that every-time I tried to balance a groggy chicken on the roost it promptly fell off, rather ungracefully [​IMG]

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It's unlikely leaving eggs will cause the banty to go broody. It's a hormone thing. And, golf balls would work as well. I bought mine at the local dollar store -- don't remember what they cost but I spent very little for a box of 4 or 6. Should be able to get plastic Easter Eggs right now, too, and they also work, though you might want to fill them with sand or something to weight them down.

6. jjdward

jjdward How bout them DAWGS!

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    I have tried to put chickens on the proper roost and I've had mixed results. And like ddawn said, not much is going to cause a hen to go broody. Mother nature nature is tricky that way!!! lol
    Good luck cause I know how much of a pain it can be when they roost in a nest box!!!!

7. Batty about Banties

Batty about Banties Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Gorge
    Ok so I will try replacing the real eggs for fake ones....does size matter? They are bantams. Could I get a regular sized egg? I am wondering if I don't have enough roost space. Add that on my project list for today!

8. mariel37

mariel37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ocala
    Quote:I tried this with a few of mine that wouldn't roost and found that every-time I tried to balance a groggy chicken on the roost it promptly fell off, rather ungracefully [​IMG]

Okay ... forgive me fellow BYC'rs for I have sinned.

I laughed out loud at the groggy chicken promptly falling off statement. Lord, I apologize ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by