HELP!!! There's a bully in my backyard!!!

mightymax

Songster
6 Years
Oct 8, 2013
Central Coast, CA
I have 5 drakes and 1 duck. I know, not an ideal setup, but they were just days old when I got them. Anyway, they all got along nicely until they turned 7 months old. Now one of my cayugas is tormenting my peaceful rouen (both drakes). He's missing feathers on his neck and is constantly running from 'Hunter', the bully. What can I do, I love them all soooooooo much my heart breaks for both of them. Hunter doesn't pick on anyone else but Rouen is starting to act out on Big Bird, my crested indian runner and I'm fearful of a snowball effect...or worse. plz help...thanks
p.s. the female is an ancona and lays an egg everyday just like clockwork and she seems to hold her own, but it's not even spring yet....what to do???

Just for your information water fowl have been sitting for weeks
and hatching time is late Jan till the late part of June .........
big_smile.png

You really need to start separating the fighting ducks as they
can really hurt each other maybe later you can put them back
together but for now separate
sad.png

gander007
old.gif

I'm new to the duck business, having raised silkie chickens before, so thanks for the info. I have separated them and Hunter will just pace and hiss even. I think he's worse after the 'time out'. How long should they be separated? I'm incubating 30 ancona eggs right now and have no place to put hunter once they're ready for the outdoors (if they hatch, that is...lol)

I'm new to the duck business, having raised silkie chickens before, so thanks for the info. I have separated them and Hunter will just pace and hiss even. I think he's worse after the 'time out'. How long should they be separated? I'm incubating 30 ancona eggs right now and have no place to put hunter once they're ready for the outdoors (if they hatch, that is...lol)
Rehome then because drakes can fight and even kill each other. Your crested isn't a match for this either. Hormones are kicking in and one is going to be the dominant drake and fighting is the only way to work it out. But if others are getting hurt seriously then you have to step in, if they are not seriously being hurt then try to let them work it out it's hard to watch but I have to do that here. Mine have alot of room to get away from each other but spats still occur. I now have 1 dominant drake and the other 2 younger ones respect him, but again they will still test him to see if they can become dominant drake. I love my drakes but there has to be plenty of ducks for them or your duck is in serious trouble with all the drakes wanting to breed with her,put her with on drake and then place the rest of the drakes in a bachelor pen until you can get more ducks but watch closely that the drakes don't injure each other seriously. Most likely one of your drakes will take the brunt of the bullying from the others which isn't good.

Ya, agree 100% with ML... Too many drakes is a bad thing, and honestly, I would have very serious concerns for a single duck in a gang of drakes. Even one duck is rarely enough for one drake, as I've read. I have never had fewer than I think 4 female ducks, so can't comment from experience. But FWIW, right now I have 8 ducks and 4 drakes, all of my drakes have mild and nice duckonalities, but honestly I think come Spring, I will find myself looking to rehome a drake.

P.S. I think I just made up a word! "Duckonalities" -- like personalities for ducks.

Thanks for the replies and advice to my HELP, Bully...question. It's pretty much the conclusion that I had already come to, but it's nice to know that there are other duck loving parents out there that have these same difficulties and heart felt pains when it comes to removing one of your beloved duckies from the family homestead. I'll be checking out some new homes for him this weekend and hopefully one will suit my boy 'Hunter'. Maybe I should think about rehoming my duck 'Dom' with him, which will leave me with only
3 drakes who all seem pretty mellow, or should I consider keeping only one male and one female and seeing what sex the babies will be when (if) they hatch in a few weeks. It's so hard sometimes when you love them all so much, but I just want them to all have the best lives possible. So.................thanks again for your help and support. Like I said, I'm pretty new to this duck thing and maybe I'll grow a harder, more realistic, view of things in the future without so many tears....or not :)

Well, I sympathize with you. It's not an easy task, whether "pets" or "livestock." I don't know that it ever gets easier. It's just part of keeping ducks. You must have harmony in the flock to keep a healthy, happy flock. Good luck with your decision @mightymax. Another option would be for you to adopt about 15 more female ducks. Something to keep in mind.

Believe me...I would adopt more ducks if my land (or partner) would allow it, but I know enough about animal husbandry to know not to over-crowd ANY of my pets.
Thanks though...I Will keep it mind if we should buy more land...

Back
Top Bottom