Help! There's something wrong with my 8 week chick Poppi

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tck88, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Tck88

Tck88 New Egg

Oct 22, 2013
    We recently got 4 baby chicks from someone. When we got them two were smaller then the other two and they had crusty dried food stuck to the. One had it all over it and seemed to be cold all the time and shiver ended up dying last week after 6 weeks. Her sister poppi had food stuck to its eye and we cleaned it off but it kept constantly getting infected and we put pink eye stuff on it and it healed. She got pecked with the other babies so she was put by herself as she had a big hole in the back of her neck. She seemed fine and is very friendly but now it's like she hasn't grown. We have lots if other chickens as well and she is about as big as the one week old chicks that just hatched and she's is 8 weeks old. She has feathers on her wings but balled bum and a huge lump behind her neck. She is constantly sleeping now and eats and drinks little bits. It feels like she is getting skinnier and skinnier. Also usually when I call out poppi to see if she's okay she chirps back but now she does it's like the quietest chirp you can here. She's also starting to fall over lots. And sometimes it sounds like she's taking deep breathes. She just did a poo and it was a little watery. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want poppi to die.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you can get Corid or amprollium, I would treat for coccidiosis. The dose is 2 tsp of liquid or 1 1/2 tsp powder to 1 gallon of water (you can make smaller portions) and give for 5-7 days as the only source of liquid. The Corid water can also be put in chick crumbles to encourage eating and drinking, but throw it out after 24 hours. It sounds as though these chicks were not healthy to start with, but I hope you can save her.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  3. Tck88

Tck88 New Egg

Oct 22, 2013
    Thank you for your reply! She passed away over night :(

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm sorry for your loss. [​IMG]She may have had some sort of internal problem, and just wasn't destined to thrive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by