help!they all look the same!! suggestions on marking them?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by augiedranch, Jun 1, 2008.

1. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    i have a bunch of jersey giant chicks.. they all look the same. i have four that i can tell apart, because the hatchery marked two males with red ink and one has no color on her at all, and the other has a all yellow beak...

other than that! i would like to tell them apart, so i can name them, and keep track of them.. is there a way for me to do this? markers,, nail polish??? i have no idea!

thank you so much
    [​IMG]

2. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    Paint each foot a different nail color. Keep a log on who is who. You could also just put a leg band on them but painting the nails is easier and you might have to do it every week or so to freshen.

3. pixiechick

pixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    If you paint their toenails, be sure not to use red because they instinctively peck at that color. I've colored a spot on mine with washable markers but it doesn't show up well on dark colors. Maybe if you color their chests.

4. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    thank you!

5. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Well. you can mark chicks a few ways. Leg bands. Wing bands. maybe the above posted but i think that would wear off. dont know though. But, you can also take scissors or a knife (people will probably kill me for telling you this). and cut the web in their toes. permantly marked. and doesn't bother them. make scare them. But wont hurt them. or you could do Punchs (use a knife and stab a whole in the webs). you can mark chickens 16 different ways like this. you can also take very small scissors (or big ones if you can). and cut the "flap?" covering their nostrils. but this is only if you want to. (NO ONE KILL ME FOR THIS LOL, im just telling some of the things i have seen done. and have done... again. doesn't hurt them. may scare them though)

6. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    oh my gosh!! lol i can castrate a goat,, and kill a six foot snake.. but,, um that i dont know! lol!!'' thanks though

will it interfere with me wanting to show them?

thank you [​IMG]

7. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    I asked a buddy of mine that Shows Old english game bantams if marking them by cutting the webs and stuff. hurts his score in the shows. but he said they never said/judged on it. so. i dont know.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  8. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    thank you!!! [​IMG]

9. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    thank you!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by