Help they are fighting!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 688peterl, Dec 2, 2009.

1. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    For those who dont know i hatched 2 runners, they are month old tomorrow and donald hatched 6 hours before louis, i have no idea what sex they are but this morning for the first time they were fighting! well actually they were not even fighting it was donald attacking louis and louis was doing nothing! i put them in the bath this morning as i do each morning i only have the water very shallow so they can be left unsupervised, and as i was cleaning the brooder out i heard them screaming in the bath (it sounded like screaming), and when i went in donald was biting louis wing, and he wouldnt let go so i gently pushed him away and that was that but then he went back to louis and started pulling his feathers out and it looked as though he was eating them but i dont know, it was hurting louis though i could tell because of the screaming noises he was making so i took donald out of the bath and put him in the sink then they were both chirping as though they didnt want to be apart! anyway i left them apart for a bit then put them back in the brooder and now they are fine, they are snuggled up to eachother right now...

what should i do about this though, i actually have some of the feathers that donald pulled out of louis and they are the ones that have only just come through, help!!!

2. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    took this just now...

[​IMG]

3. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    donald is on the left louis is on the right

4. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    louis looks like he has 2 black eyes lol

5. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    I'd say they are just establishing a pecking order.

My ducks get 'goosed' by their siblings a lot, but they're no worse for the wear.

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Sounds normal. Just watch them to make sure nobody is drawing blood.

7. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Awwwww! They look like they are pouting lol. So cute! Wish I could help.

8. KellyandKatie

KellyandKatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    It is alarming how viscous ducks can fight and how rough they are with eachother- but what you are refering to sounds like 'normal' duck communication to me-- but I would watch them:)
    They are cute, they do look all scolded and pouting LOL silly ducks

9. I'm not sure feather eating is that typical.
    Is Donald a lot smaller than Louis, are they the same breed? If they are the same breed and he is so much smaller, and is eating feathers, could he need more protein? There are some individuals who don't digest their food as well which could show up as a slower growth rate.
    If this is just a one time thing than no big deal, but if it keeps up I would wonder.

10. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    donald is smaller than louis but they both have the same feed, and donald is also more active than louis, like when i have them out of the brooder donald runs around for ages but louis gets tired after a while and stops for a rest, i dont know if donald actually eats the feathers he might just chew them, they are the same breed but sadly it was not a one off! i have had them in the bath twice since it happened this morning and donald keeps doing it! louis does not fight back though he just makes a screaming sound and tries to get away real fast its like donald is bullying him lol, the strange thing is it only happens in the bath! they are in the brooder now and they are best buddies.. also this morning when i wasnt in the bathroom with them and i left them with my sister she said that donald was backing louis into a corner and biting him because the water was only very shallow, il keep updating this thread

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by