HELP they hate each other!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kaitlyn_rae2003, Jul 8, 2010.

1. kaitlyn_rae2003

kaitlyn_rae2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    oh my gosh, I am so bummed. I have 3 beautiful barred rocks, 10 weeks old, who we quarentined and kept separate for a month. Now that we know everyone is healthy, we tried to introduce them to our existing flock. 2 NH reds, 2 RIRs, and 4 frizzle mixes who are smaller then the barred rocks but 2 weeks older. anyway, its not gone well so far. its been 3 days and 3 nights and those poor BR's just cant move without someone chasing them all around. Poor girls, they happen to be the sweetest, most docile ones in my flock, and I feel so guilty. They were sooo happy until they had to go in with these beasts of mine. 1 frizzle is a roo, and not a good one at that. He is smaller then the BRs but mr. security wont let them enter the coop at night, and i noticed today, none of them would let the BR's out of the coop all afternoon. I intervened, but it only lasted a few minutes and they went back, as if they new they had to. Makes me so angry!!! is all this normal? am i overreacting? can i do anything to help? i told maverick the roo, his days would be numbered if he kept this up, but its not just him, the girls are just as hateful. What to do??! any help is much appreciated.

2. admhotel

admhotel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Rome, Ny
    I am new at this but from what I understand the best thing to do is have the new ones where the orignal chickens can see but not touch. Don't know if you have room but but a wire dog box work great. That is what I am doing right now with some younger ones that I have. That way they can get to know each other without hurting anybody. If you don't have room for that you might be able to section off some of the run for the same effect. Hope that helps you and good luck.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If possible divide your run with a temporary wire partition. Put the barred rocks on one side and the original flock on the other. After a couple of days add the most peaceful of your old flock to the barred rocks. If that goes well add another the next day. Continue the practice until all have been combined. Isolate the frizzle rooster and make him the last addition. This will lower his position in the pecking order and hopefully adjust his attitude. Realistically, there is nothing unusual about this behavior.

4. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    I agree with the other posts. It helps to allow them to also eat near each other, separate but visible, to get over their territoriality over food. When you do integrate, put extra feeders in the coop so the lower chickens aren't always driven away from the feeders. I'd keep them separate but visible for a week then integrate. It is hard to watch but if they don't draw blood or pull too many feathers, just let the pecking order get sorted out and they should be okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by