help! They need to be fattened up!!!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by FLOWERPOT, Oct 30, 2008.

1. FLOWERPOT

FLOWERPOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Healthy dual purpose chickens.
    I have a feeder that never runs empty,
    They free range a couple hours every day for all the bugs they can eat. and their run is pretty large anyway!
    I give them treats of popcorn, kitchen scraps on occasion, peanuts sometimes, something everyday anyway!
    Ive been buying scratch grains for the last couple of weeks since it has gotten cooler outside, and throw a couple scoops to them closer to their bedtime and they eat till their crops look full!
    I have all 'dual purpose' breed chickens and too many roos that should be ready to be processed. But to me they seem to be thin.
    Is there something I should feed them to fatten them up?
    Are they just getting too much excersise? Lots of girls around to keep them busy and distracted from the food?

2. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    it would help to pen all the roos up and keep feeding them free choice,but they wont ever get as big as what you see in the store ,but they still taste good

3. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you wormed them?

4. FLOWERPOT

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    No, but wouldnt I be able to see the worms in their poo if they had them? I wouldnt want to give them any medicine if they dont need it.???

5. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    How old are they now?

6. FLOWERPOT

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    They hatched March 1st.
    So... 8 months

7. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    8 months.... they ought to be as big as they're going to get by now. They simply may not put on more weight and all the treats are adding is fat.

Can you give us a live weight on one of them? That may give us a clue if they're stunted or not.

8. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    At 8 months they could also be tough by now. I also free range. My birds are rarely penned up in the summer months. The hens are untill about noon so I can find the eggs, but the roos never are untill late fall.
    I feed cracked corn in thier pen. They do go in at night to sleep, so they go and eat before bed and when they wake up. I also keep back fat when I butcher for them and give small amounts they will clean up in a half a day. Worming is something they have to have. No bird will fill out if you are also feeding lice, or worms, and no, you don't always see worms. You will see lice and they are a large cause of weight loose in chickens.
    I get a wormer I can put in the water. Its easy, and worms my barn cat too. The lice I have dairy pour on I put in a squirt gun and when they are out running about, I blast them on the back.. sounds aweful I know, but you won't get these birds sitting still. Then I powder thier dog house and nest boxes. In the spring when wild birds are nesting I also lice powder the nests in the barns etc so the lice don't drop down on my cattle.
    Worming your dogs and cats will greatly reduce the spread of round worms to your birds. If you allow guests to let thier dogs run, make sure they have wormed thier dog(s) or you start all over again. I have a no pet policy so that won't happen.
    My birds are heavy duel purpose breeds and are ready to eat at about 3-4 months. Just before they start to crow, I butcher. If you want cornish game hens from your duel purpose breeds, lock up the chicks and feed them on oat meal, milk, and fat, with some corn. They will be round as any cornish and ready at a small size.
    Hope that helps. It may not work for everyone, but works for my situation.

9. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

No, but wouldnt I be able to see the worms in their poo if they had them? I wouldnt want to give them any medicine if they dont need it.???

No... The worms will stay inside the chickens and shed eggs (which you can't see). If the chickens are pooping visible worms, they'd be heavily infested with tapes or the like. YUCK.​

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    A dual purpose rooster will never be the chicken you are wanting. He won't be plump and thick breasted ever. He will be okay for stewing but the best time to dispatch the extra roos is 12 - 16 weeks. The breast will always be thin and these birds will work well when young as 'fryers'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by