Help thick orange discharge from nostril

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicken jane1, Jan 28, 2014.

1. chicken jane1

chicken jane1 New Egg

Jan 28, 2014
    I have raised chickens for 30 years and have never experienced anything like this. First my hen was huddled and would not hang with the flock, then I noticed a clear runny nose. I brought her in the hose and the following day the discharge was orange and thick. I was thinking Infectious Coryza so I gave her a bowl of water treated with Terramycin. She wasn't drinking it so I was concerned about dehydration and antibiotic and gave it orally with a syringe down her throat. All went fine for the first 12cc and then she collapsed in the sink. Then things got really strange. Orange watery foul smelling stuff came pouring out of her, and I mean masses of it, some from her beak and I dont know where els. The stuff from her beak contained bits of grass and crud and it smelled really bad. Her eyes were closed and her respirations where almost non existent. I thought I had killed her. Still the liquid was poring out of her After fifteen minutes she stood up like nothing had happened and actually looked better and more alert than she had in several days. Today she is still alert but continues with the runny beak. Does anyone have a solution. I was thinking sour crop but seriously this much discharge?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. It sounds like sour crop from your description, but I wonder if she hadn't been swallowing some of the mucus from her respiratory disease. She must have been saving up for awhile. Coryza is supposed to have a bad smell about the head. Di-Methox or sulfadimethoxine is supposed to be best for treating coryza. Sulmet would treat it too.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  3. chicken jane1

chicken jane1 New Egg

Jan 28, 2014
    I have some Sulmet, I will try it right away. Thank you Eggcessive

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by