Help!!!! Thigh muscle sticking out and skin coming off of my favorite Hen.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenpal147, Jul 10, 2019 at 9:58 PM.

1. chickenpal147

chickenpal147 Songster

Apr 8, 2013
    Labadie Missouri
    I have a buff Orpington that I absolutely love and I don’t want her to die, or worse have to do the unthinkable. At about 7pm tonight I was walking around my backyard and saw the lid on the feed can was off. So I went over to it to fix it, when I got over there a chicken was looking up at me. So I thought maybe she had just jumped in and got stuck. Well I pulled her out and she kind of smelled a little and she has wounds on her leg. She is unable to put weight on that leg. I don’t know if something dragged her in there, or if I miss counted the chickens when I put them away last night. If I did I feel so bad that I didn’t notice her earlier today as it was 97 and humid all day. Her thigh muscle is protruding skin is falling off, and I think she might be in pain. I want to do all that I can for my sweet girl, before I have to think about doing the unthinkable. She is in my house in a big rubber maid container. None of the vets around me look at chickens so that is not an option. Any ideas of what to do to try and help her would be amazing. Also here is a link to the video I put on YouTube of her. www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkxKWPbofuQ

ValerieJ likes this.
  2. Sequel

Sequel Crowing

Oh dear! I'm so sorry for you and your hen! I'm sure the experts will see this soon, in the meantime offer something to drink. Water or something with electrolytes if you have it. :hugs

3. Helloworld

Helloworld Songster

Jul 17, 2018
    Down on the Suwannee River
    Bless your heart. I am so sorry this has happened. On the video you stated that a baby chick was pulled through your wire so it could be a defense wound and trash can was her get away. You don’t have a vet and she needs one. I feel your broken heart but in all honesty she will most likely get gangrene so keep it as clean as possible. So, lets think. If this was me I would give her the night. You can wrap her leg with some vetwrap or other bandage material. I don’t know how long you have had her inside but if its been a while, run a warm bath and see if you can get wound material off of feathers and such so you can see. After that, wrap her in a towel and put her on a heating pad on low or a chicken heating pad, whatever you have. You can also heat up dry rice in microwave, not too hot and place under towel that is under her. Remove the material you have in bucket and put down towels or puppy pads. To me it looks like it would stick to wound. I don’t see fresh blood. Does her leg look broken? If not, put as much of the wound back together and wrap. Go to a feed store if you have and get an antibiotic. I would get penicillin to fight of gangrene. Get 1 cc syringes with needle. Give for 3 days. Push very very slow as it is thick into a muscle. You will have to calculate dose because I don’t remember. Others may suggest something else and that is good too. She is in shock and has been without water so if necessary give her water with a syringe no needle. Don’t worry about her eating. You have to get her past shock stage. I know your hurting and I understand your pain greatly. I had a chicken that developed gangrene under one wing because I did not realize roo was overbreeding and this breed is so fluffy injuries are hard to see. My suggestions are to sooth your heart and at least try to help her. Unfortunately, be aware that she will probably need to be put down. It is not your fault so focus on doing what you can until you see improvement or realize it is time.
    She looks bad love but God does miraculous things so I will pray and lets see just how strong she is. She is so beautiful and I know this is hard but hang on until you feel it is time. You will know. She is in pain. Heat will help but try to look past it if you can to help her.
    If you want to try and save her forge on. A couple of days you will know but during this time let go of your guilt and just love her. I am crying with you and I truly hope you can save your friend. Give her a kiss from al of us and let her know we are praying.

4. chickenpal147

chickenpal147 Songster

Apr 8, 2013
    Labadie Missouri
    The baby chicks was in a dog crate and was be headed and it’s insides were all over the place. This hen is about 2 years old and is in the coop with the big girls, she wasn’t with the chick that was killed. She was just chilling in the trash can like are you gonna get me out or no. She has a container of warm apple cider vinegar water next to her. She doesn’t seem interested in it, but every so often I’ve been making her drink some just so I know she is hydrated. Thank you for the suggestions they are very appreciated. I will definitely try them and see if anything changes.

ValerieJ and TropicalBabies like this.
  5. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

I’m so sorry. Is it nice and warm inside your house? She needs a warm, quiet, calm place. She is probably in shock and needs to rest. See if she will take clean water, not vinegar. Electrolytes in the water might be good, as well as a couple drops of straight nutridrench to her beak.

You are definitely going to have to tend to that wound, especially if it stinks. You can flush it with sterile saline, but I would probably use chlorhexadine because of the odor. If you can trim her feathers back around the wound, that will make it easier for you to work on her and keep it clean. Apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wound. I would clean and apply the ointment daily. She may also need an oral or injected antibiotic, but I always forget which is best for wounds. Kim will know. @Eggcessive

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019 at 11:43 PM
  6. Trimurtisan

Trimurtisan Team flappy foot

May 22, 2019
    A cypress swamp in FL
    I'm sorry about to read about your feathered friends troubles. I've had to deal with the lose of my favorite chicken recently, and it was dreadful. I don not have any experience with treating wounds, but do have one thing to add. I've been treating my chickens for cocci, and finding needless syringes was actually quite difficult for me.
    I end up finding them at CVS labeled as "Oral Syringes" and had to request them from the pharmacist. They carry a 1ml/cc syringe that is very easy to fit in their throat for oral drenches, but they are not for sale. It's one that comes with babies medicine, so you have to specifically ask for them. I told the pharmacist what I was doing and he happily gave me some for free.

I wish the best of luck to you. I'll keep you two in my thoughts. :hugs

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry about your hen.

Flush the wound very well with saline, betadine or chlorhexidine (Hibiclens). Trim the feathers away from the wound so you can get a better look at it and see how deep that goes. Take some photos.
    Apply a triple antibiotic ointment to the wound. Do not wrap the wound or try to pull skin back over top of it, it will fester.
    Having a bad odor is infection. See if the smell is still there after it's been flushed and the feathers trimmed. If it is, then get some Procaine Penicillin G from Tractor Supply. You will find it in the refrigerated section. Get the smallest syringes they carry and a package of 20 gauge needles. Dosage is 0.25ml injected into the breast muscle 1/4" deep. Alternate sides daily. Give for 4 days.

Get her drinking first, then offer her some wet feed.

Keep us posted.

8. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
  9. chickenpal147

chickenpal147 Songster

Apr 8, 2013
    Labadie Missouri
    Unfortunately there is no tractor supply store close enough to me that I would be able to get that.

ValerieJ and Trimurtisan like this.
  10. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Call your pharmacy they maybe steer you to a substitute. There's Amazon, they have everything ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: