Help!!!! Thigh muscle sticking out and skin coming off of my favorite Hen.

image.jpg
image.jpg
She definitely has an infection, the wound is worse than I thought. But now there are maggots in the wound. She must have been in the feed container longer than I thought. How do I get rid of the maggots?

You
View attachment 1842461 View attachment 1842461 She definitely has an infection, the wound is worse than I thought. But now there are maggots in the wound. She must have been in the feed container longer than I thought. How do I get rid of the maggots?
You have to physically remove each and every one with tweezers and then clean the wound really well again. There could be some fresh maggots that may have hatched tomorrow. You need to be super vigilant about this.

The maggots are not as bad as they seem because they feed off the dead and dying tissue. So they clean out the infection. You do have to remove them daily so they don’t over take any healing You can wash them out of the wound with saline. 1tsp salt in a gallon of water. Use a turkey banister to flush the wound

This is a bad complication. I would flush the wound out with warm soapy water, Betadine, Epsom salts water or saline. Use a magnifying glass to remove each maggot. More may hatch out in the next day, so this will need to be repeated. Reapply the ointment. At this point I would be considering what to do if she befins to suffer. Flystrike can be fatal if the maggots get inside her. Try to get her drinking and eating. Keep her away from flies.

The maggots are not as bad as they seem because they feed off the dead and dying tissue. So they clean out the infection. You do have to remove them daily so they don’t over take any healing You can wash them out of the wound with saline. 1tsp salt in a gallon of water. Use a turkey banister to flush the wound
Regular fly maggots eat live and dead flesh and do not clean out infection. :(

Back
Top Bottom