Help! Think I might have a incubating problem.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CluckAcres, Dec 28, 2012.

1. CluckAcres

CluckAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
    Its day 16 and my brown eggs have big black blobs but i see no movement. One of my sons got up in the middle of the night some time bout a week ago and opened the door to my incubator and left it open. I didnt realize it till the next morning. Do you think this could of set the incubating back some? The temp was 87 when i realized it.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  2. CALI CHICK

CALI CHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    They should be OK. Usually they will just hatch at a later time than they would have. As for not seeing movement, the chicks are pretty big by Day 16 and are filling much of the egg. Mine are on Day 14 and I could see slight movements. Were you candling and seeing movement before?

I noticed a picture in your other thread of the chicken wire floor. The chicks will have an easier time hatching with shelf liner. The texture will allow them to stand and also keep their feet from falling through.
    Good luck!

3. CluckAcres

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
    I have candled before but still never seen movement. When i candled tonight i saw the black blob on one side of the egg but when i turned the egg around i seen light. I was going to put something down over the wire before lock down. I think i will use shelf liner that should work pretty good.

4. CALI CHICK

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    I candle to see veins between Day 4-7. The presence of veins shows the development of the embryo. It should look like a big red spider. A dark spot is the eye. On days 8-10 you should see a little blob with the dark spot (the eye). Up to about Day 13 or 15 movement will be obvious. While candling, also make sure the aircell is growing bigger (but not too big) so the chicks have space to internally pip. I've candle as late as Day 18 (before lockdown) and have seen movement in almost every egg.

There are some great pictures and examples of embryo development on the Learning Center tab of the Home Page. You can also get great ideas for a brooder when they hatch.

If you've never seen movement (???) perhaps you should do a float test to see if anything is alive. Put several inches of warm water (about 100*) in a deep container. Then carefully lower the egg(s) into the water. Wait for the water to settle and then watch to see if any of the eggs are moving or wiggling on their own. They should float, first of all. Little rings of water will radiate around a live egg or it will literally move across the surface. If an egg is moving, dry it off and put it back in the bator. If nothing is moving [​IMG] they probably aren't alive. But, I hope you have some chicks hatch. [​IMG]

Oh, keep in mind that by Day 16/17 blood rings and rotten eggs will start to smell pretty bad so be careful not to crack them open in the house (if you want to do eggtopsies).

5. CluckAcres

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
    I just tried the float test. was hard to tell if they had movement but some did move around the water and some did a rocking movement after the water was still. Is that what im suppose to be seeing? I didnt see any little ring tho, that i could tell anyways.

6. CALI CHICK

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    Yes, the rocking movement is GOOD! Dry them with a paper towel and get those babies back in the bator.[​IMG]You just have to be patient until they start pipping in a few days. And make sure your son doesn't open the door during lockdown..........maybe tape the side shut to remind yourselves they are in lockdown-LOL!

7. CluckAcres

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
    ok just another question. what would happen say they need a few more days before lockdown and dont know it and i raise the humidity up high before they are even ready?

8. CALI CHICK

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    High humidity really can't hurt them the last few days as long as it's been good Days 1-18. Best thing to do is to candle and check the size of the aircells. Check a couple randomly rather than all of them. (There isn't an exact size because eggs are different sizes and chicks can hatch under different conditions.) At this stage -close to lockdown- the aircell should be about 1/4 of the egg (at the fat end). Here is a picture of aircells that I marked with pencils. The rings get bigger and lower on the egg showing how the aircell should be growing as they near hatchday. If you decide to candle and check aircells just make sure the aircell isn't small. Small would be a circle the size of a nickle or quarter (which would mean the humidity was TOO high at the beginning and the egg couldn't evaporate the water into the surrounding air.)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I love marking aircells because I can determine almost exactly where they will pip. -At the lowest part -see pip on left of egg?

Have you been consistantly turning the eggs 2x a day? Hope so, because the chick shouldn't be developing on just one side. Turning them or using an egg turner is just copying what the hen does as she moves them around under her. She seems to know better than to move the last 3 days before hatch, which is why we stop turning too. Her body gives off humidity and heat. If we don't add extra humidity for hatching the chick can get shrink wrapped in the membrane.

9. CluckAcres

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
    my air cells look fine. they are big. I have been turning my eggs 2x even 3x a day and making sure the same side isnt up everynight. I think my eggs my be just off a day because of the temp and humidity problem i had. But I will keep you all posted. Thanks.

10. CluckAcres

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
    Here is some pics of my incubator and show the temp that it is kept at.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by