Help! Think my chicken is sick!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jbieware, Jun 15, 2008.

1. jbieware

jbieware Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2008
    Silver Point TN
    I have a little banty hen (not sure how old....older one I think) that has dug a little nest in the dirt but is shaking, laying kinda on her side and drawing her feet up! Does anyone know what could be wrong? I'm worrried she's dying or something....

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Don't worry, she is just fine. That's what they do when they take a dirt bath. On their side, all weird and shaky. They love it.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Could she be taking a dustbath? Sounds like what you describe.

4. jbieware

Jun 13, 2008
    Silver Point TN
    HAHAHAHA...Thank ya'll. I think she is taking a dust bath! Can you tell I'm a new chicken owner!!! She is rolling all in the dirt and acting all crazy...

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Chickens are strange creatures. They seem positively in a trance when doing a dirt bath. Here is a pic, not a very good one, of two of my girls. Grace looks like she's been shot.

[​IMG]

6. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Mine was doing that just a couple days ago. Only problem was that it was like close to 95 degrees and she was working at it so hard, she got a bit overheated, AND got a gob of damp sand in her eye besides. [​IMG]

7. jbieware

Jun 13, 2008
    Silver Point TN
    Thank you...that pic is just how she looked. I thought I was gonna have to do CPR. [​IMG]

8. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I sometimes wonder how the poor c-x's can live through doing it ONCE!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by