Help think my hen is sick

Alisha Gallagher

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2018
Hi I am new to this page as well as a new chicken onwer for about 8 months now, one of my hens for 5 days now has A droopy tail she's losing weight she's not eating very much or drinking very much she barely walks around her back is huntched, her poop is watery green she hasn't laid in a week, I thought maybe she was egg bound she's pretty hard by her vent area, so I've been giving her baths it doesn't seem to be helping, any advice would
Be great.

Attachments

• F0F83F38-1024-4D94-91BA-4048154CB580.jpeg
    F0F83F38-1024-4D94-91BA-4048154CB580.jpeg
    326.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 63979E53-E291-4366-A511-0F2CF9D92CE9.jpeg
    63979E53-E291-4366-A511-0F2CF9D92CE9.jpeg
    700 KB · Views: 10
When she first started acting under the weather what did poop look like? Wast it watery diarrhea? Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be on soon to help you out.

I am learning it can be many things but may need to treat for dehydration first then manually feed her with dropper or syringe, worse comes to worse you may have to tube feed. Chickens loose weight drastically fast and kills them equally fast. So that would be what I would try. Also glove up add some KY or Vaseline to a finger and insert into her vent to see if she has a stuck egg but with her pooping I doubt that is what is going on.

When she first started acting under the weather what did poop look like? Wast it watery diarrhea? Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be on soon to help you out.

I am learning it can be many things but may need to treat for dehydration first then manually feed her with dropper or syringe, worse comes to worse you may have to tube feed. Chickens loose weight drastically fast and kills them equally fast. So that would be what I would try. Also glove up add some KY or Vaseline to a finger and insert into her vent to see if she has a stuck egg but with her pooping I doubt that is what is going on.
My nurse friend gloved up and checked her vent and she didn't really feel anything but she only went about a inch and half inward, Before she kind of had like blackish looking gooey poop, eating drinking not a huge difference,I do give them extra electrolytes and vitamins in their water daily. Should I start getting a syringe and giving her water to make sure she's getting enough I mean I see her drink throughout the day and nibble on food

I didn’t think that she would be egg bound since she was pooping. She needs plenty of fluids so unless you see her drink a lot during the day you may want to try giving fluids. I usually fill a dropper and holding her drop a few drops at a time to the right side of her beak. Do the same with food make a soupy mash from her feed and try giving a few drops at a time to the right side of her beak. You can try boiled or scrambled eggs, sometimes that will entice them to eat. I’m hoping someone with more experience will see your post and be able to come up with an idea of what is ailing you girl.

Hi I am new to this page as well as a new chicken onwer for about 8 months now, one of my hens for 5 days now has A droopy tail she's losing weight she's not eating very much or drinking very much she barely walks around her back is huntched, her poop is watery green she hasn't laid in a week, I thought maybe she was egg bound she's pretty hard by her vent area, so I've been giving her baths it doesn't seem to be helping, any advice would
Be great.
You should try to give her broken up Tums and if you have a magnesium capsule break that open and give that to her and that will help her contractions and be helpful in pushing out an egg if she is egg bound. You can also give her a warm Epsom salt bath and that will relax the whole area and may promote her to lay. You may have to end up giving her antibiotics if this has been going on for a while she could have a broken softshell egg inside her and it may be infected.

Back
Top Bottom