Help this BIGENDER chicken! NO LONGER BIGENDER WOOT

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Zahboo, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    OKAY
    AFTER 4 PAGES I'M STILL LOST. I THINK ITS A BIGENDERED CHICKEN [​IMG]

These are Jungle Fowl/Phoenix birds. They are 3 months old and VERY PRETTY. I love them. I just want to make sure. I think I sexed them right. I used their tails to sex them. 2 girls 1 boy was my guess

Rooster right?
    [​IMG]

Hen, I said because she carries her tail and it doesn't have green in it like the roo does. it's also half the length.
    [​IMG]

This is a hen too? It's my tail feathers lol
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Sorry, you got 3 hens. With the golden/BBR/silver phoenix the males look way different, they are black and red/gold/silver. Alot of phoenix hens have longer pointed tail feathers like that.

3. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    They aren't full blooded phoenix though. Also, they are only 3 months old, so couldn't he just be not developed all the way yet. Darn...

4. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Here is a better pic of the one I thought was a roo. His neck feathers are different... \\[​IMG]

5. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    I am sure the first one is a rooster. I had silver phoenix and that is a roo!!! It may be gold, but its for sure not a hen. The hens do not have long tails at all. I think because it is young,peope might mistake it for a hen. The tail is not as long as it is going to get!! Yay for you!!!

I think the mix will throw some people off!!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  6. flyingmonkeypoop

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I know its a hen. My friend Napalongtails had a bunch of hens hatch like that, its refered to as cock feathered hens, its not that common. We have a silver phoenix hen that had a long tail with two longer pointed tail feathers, it was as long as the leghorns roosters tail but she is or sure a hen. Her hackle feathers are also longer, pointed, and glossy like a males but she is a hen.

7. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Well I hope they have another one. I REALLY need a roo [​IMG]

8. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    If is a hen like the others, why does it look like a roo, and they don't? It's a roo! If it lays an egg then I will be wrong! So zaboo you need to let me know if it crows or if it lays an egg!!![​IMG]

9. flyingmonkeypoop

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Oh yeah well my momma says....hahaha. I say boy because she is BBR colored just like the phoenix and red jungle fowl hens. Both sides of her family produce males that look obvious with a black breast and such.

So I say boy. I think we need another opinion.

10. flyingmonkeypoop

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Oh and plus I was noticing she has a feminine head and face [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by