Help--this isn't normal molting

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Katie's Koop, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Katie's Koop

Katie's Koop Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    My 6 month old Barred Rock started to molt back in early Sept even though she's just a young thing. The molt has hit her back and rump... we have been patiently awaiting the return of our gorgeous Evelyn but as new feathers break through they quickly disappear. Some of the other ladies have had small areas of molting and are filling in nicely. She's scratching and picking at her bare spots and her skin is red and inflamed. There was blood along the wall where many of the ladies nest but I could not find the source. We've checked her for mites etc and have come up empty. I'm hoping that someone can recommend a solution be it time, a salve, a fabric protector to help her out as winter is just around the corner. I'll try and post some pics.

Thanks!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    She's likely being picked at by the others. If you break the pin feathers, they will bleed. Get some blu-kote (or no pick) and cover her bare spots in it to keep them from picking at her.

3. Katie's Koop

Mar 15, 2011
    Thanks for your response..I'm still too new to post pics.

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Pictures might help. i agree that the others are probably picking on her.

i had to separate two hens recently. One went into a molt, and then the other one started yanking feathers out of her bottom and eating them. These new feathers were nice and full of blood in the shaft. This is the same hen that pulled off and ate a steri-strip (along with part of my skin and some blood) when i had a leg wound. Never went near her again without being fully bandaged up.

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Oh, on posting pictures. i'm thinking you just need to post 10 times? (i could be wrong)

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You could put Vick's Vapor Rub on the area where she's being picked, it will deter the picker(s.) Rooster Booster brand "Black Salve" works well and has healing properties too.

7. Katie's Koop

Mar 15, 2011
    Thank you all! I may just keep replying to this post to get my numbers up.

8. Katie's Koop

Mar 15, 2011
    DH picked up some "stop pick" last night so Evelyn is getting a special massage this am. I think she might be her own worst enemy!

Thanks for the help!

9. Davian

Davian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    My molting girl started doing the same thing as she's halfway though a hard molt...I've just been using blu-kote to cover it. It seems to be working.

Poor thing looks so disheveled right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by