Help this newbie please

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pollitos, Jan 1, 2013.

1. pollitos

pollitos New Egg

Jan 1, 2013
    North Central Texas
    [​IMG]

I have been wanting to raise chickens for a while now. I am a single mom of 3 boys & a girl and we will be doing the building. We will be doing the coop construction from the kids old playhouse/fort which is about 8 feet off the ground. What needs to be inside the coop for the chickens? And if you have any kind of suggestions I would greatly appreciate them. Thanks :)

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Glad you joined.

Inside the coop you need ventilation, and the best spot is at the top of the coop. You also need perches for your birds to roost on, and nesting boxes for them to lay in. I would look at some of the amazing coop people have built and posted here on BYC.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  3. JOSEPHC

JOSEPHC Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2012
    Long Island New York
    Take some time on the Internet and research coop construction. Also, there are so many free plans out there; go to Purina company's website for a free coop plan that you can even download. Check out free books at your local library and/or purchase Building Chicken Coops for Dummies.

Basically, the chickens need a nesting box(s), a coop itself (2 square feet minimum per hen), roosting bars, (looks like a ladder) and a run. It may seem overwhelming at first, but simply pick and choose ideas and adapt them to the existing playhouse/fort structure. Look at coop manufacturer sites for additional ideas, photos, layouts, etc.

Good luck with the project-it will be a memorable event and the conclusion will be something you may all enjoy as a family.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by