Help this newly hatched chicken owner out!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by momoeight, Oct 2, 2011.

1. momoeight

momoeight Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    I got my chicks at a feed store and was told that the are buff orpingtons, rhode island reds and americauanas. But after snooping around on the forums here, I am realizing that what the guy said probably means very little. I am thinking that the striped ones are probably really Easter eggers. Please give me your opinions. I would love to know. And can someone also tell me what color eggs I can expect? I was told they are all females. I hope so!! Can you tell yet?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Well, other than calling EE's Americaunas (which is what hatcheries often due) he seem so be right on with the breeds. Here are your breeds in order of pics
    RIR
    EE
    BO
    EE

Hope this helps [​IMG]

ETA about egg color BO and RIR lay a pretty brown egg. EE's lay any color but usually hatchery stock lays green or brown - rarely blue.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You'll get shades of light brown and more than likely green eggs(and ham)[​IMG]
    The ee's would possibly give blue but more likely green, khaki, olive or even brown.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    There Buff Orpingtons, Production Red (not Rhode Island Reds) and Easter Eggers.

Chris

5. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
  6. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    Quote:I Agree

7. EMaker

EMaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Quote:All of my EEs are hatchery stock and most of them lay blue, as in, the vast majority lay nice blue eggs. I have only a few that lay a pretty seafoam green egg. Your chicks all look very nice, especially those buff orpingtons. Also, those chicks look like RIRs. Hatchery RIRs aren't as dark as a breeders' stock (along with other differences) but I think the RIR quality varies by hatchery. Our RIRs are hatchery stock and quite nice, very dark mahogany feathering. Often a "production red" is more orangey-red in feather...but either way, you won't really be able to tell until after first moult. Be happy with your chicks, they all seem great. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  8. momoeight

momoeight Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    Oh, I love my little chickies. I don't really care what they are, I was just curious. The guy charged slightly more for the EE (25cents more a piece or something like that) He sort of had an attitude about any questions I asked. But my little girlies are part of the family now. They all seem healthy and happy!! Thank you for all the input! This website is AWESOME and I already feel like it is my chicken family!

[​IMG]

9. NewHawaiiChick

NewHawaiiChick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    Hawaii
    Just to compare, your EE's look like what were called Ameraucana chicks when we bought them. They all lay pale blue eggs.
    All cuties!

10. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Just a word of warning, and sorry to be off topic. Whenever someone says "the guy at the feed store said"....
    Please check with somebody before you listen to him, especially about major, or life threatening purchases.
    It's is almost as bad as talking politics or religion. Possibly even worse. There have some heated debates here.
    Maybe ask him about HIS chickens, and what HE does for HIS birds.
    You may just find out this kid is making minimum wage, just doing what the boss told him, and doesn't know squat. JMO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by