HELP! Three Injured Chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Crashnot, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Crashnot

Crashnot Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2010
    When it rains it pours, and I've got a flood today.

From the top:
    Three of my hens managed to escape their temporary yard, and the puppy dutifully captured two of them. By the time I found the awhile later, one was on her back, wings askew and the other was sitting in the grass in shock. I put her in the coop in a nesting box to keep her still. Her wings are sort of hanging loose, but I can't tell if they are broken, injured, or just there because she's shocky. She is standing and alert, but the wings don't stay up.

The "dead" hen on her back was miraculously still alive. Very much plucked along her back with a big rip in her skin, about 2" long and 1" across. The meat is okay, but very open. I set her up alone in the barn in a little nest with a heat lamp. She's really beat up, so wondering what I can do for her in terms of medication, food or drink to help her hang in there. The wounds look fairly superficial, but I don't like her energy level.

Finally, when I was getting the heat lamp out of my brooder AKA horse trailer, I discovered one of the runty white rocks I'm holding there has been totally pecked up by his four siblings. Half of his butt is missing! They've pecked a good chunk off his hind end since morning. Ironically, he's up and lively but very raw. Should I try to dress the wound, or just keep it clean and let him recover in isolation? He's in a clean stall with the plucked hen for now, but might need to move him when he discovers she is there.

So, what do I do now??? Food, water, medication. Each has a different injury and different level of alertness. I sure don't want to lose any birds!

Lisa in Ontario.

2. Crashnot

Mar 26, 2010
    I should add the two hens are 5 month old plymouth barred rocks, the pecked chick is a 3-month old white rock. Thanks!

Lisa in Ontario

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Simple first aid for the wounds, like cleaning with a little soapy water, then an antibiotic ointment, or lots of people use Blukote. Don't dress unless you have to, because it will probably require wrapping something all the way around the chicken. Rest, a dark place by themselves, plenty of nutrition, extra protein, maybe some vitamins.

They could easily have internal bleeding and there isn't really anything you can do about that. The one with the wings hanging may have broken bones, which you would probably want to secure to the body by wrapping around the body with something like vet wrap, just one layer.

There is a good chance you will lose some or all of these birds. Sorry; I know this can be very upsetting.

4. Crashnot

Mar 26, 2010
    Well, we're down by one, the plucked one didn't make it as I kind of expected. I got a scrambled egg, a grape and maybe some water into the broken wing one. The crazy white rock gobbled up a grape and some feed. He'll probably be fine! Just going to keep watch on the one with the injured wing. When they aren't too perky I always get a bad feeling about their outlook.

Lisa

5. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:If you do wrap the broken wing, please make sure it isn't too tight- they have to be able to breathe.

I have a book at home that talks about broken wings... I *think* it says to use 2 pieces of very light cardboard to tape the wing to as a splint, one on each side of the wing, witht he wing folded up and make sure the bones are in the right area, then take a piece of a sock (like the stretchy top of a tube sock, witht he foot cut off, to put around both wings and the body, which will hold the wing in the right place and keep the chicken from trying to flap. Also, keep her in an area (cage or something) where she will not be tempted to try to fly in order to roost.

6. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by