HELP!!! three of our chickens died in the past month

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jranee, Nov 10, 2015.

1. jranee

jranee Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2015
    three of our chickens died this last month. one of them was a rooster and they were all healthy and young. the rooster stopped crowing and had droopy wings. the hens never made noise and had their wings droop too.they wouldn't move around too. we sanitized the whole coop and run with bleach water and gave their feets baths in apple cider vinegar water because i read that diseases could be passed thru stuff on their feet. i would really appreciate any thoughts on what it might be.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I would treat for cocci. That is the first thing I look at when birds suddenly get sick. My first cocci outbreak was when my birds were two years old, so it isn't something that happens strictly in chicks and youths.

Get yourself some Corid or Sulmet.

3. jranee

Nov 9, 2015
    thank you for the advice. it dies seem like it is cocci. i dont know why i never thought about that before.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Welcome to BYC! Can you post a picture of their poop?

-Kathy

5. jranee

Nov 9, 2015
    we sanitized the whole coop so there is none but ill find a pic online that looks like it

6. jranee

Nov 9, 2015
    [​IMG]it looked kinda like this

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Okay, do that, but also get a picture of a fresh poop if you can.

-Kathy

8. jranee

Nov 9, 2015
    but none of them are having any symptoms yet since the last died so there isnt anything wrong with the poop

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Okay, it's been my experience that foamy poop that color is coccidiosis. No harm in getting some Corid and treating.

20% powder dose is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/3 teaspoon per gallon for 7-14 days.
    9.6% liquid dose is 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/2 teaspoon per gallon for 7-14 days.

Make fresh daily and medicated water should be only source of water.

-Kathy

10. jranee

Nov 9, 2015
    i was just wondering what it could have been and how to treat it so none of the others would get it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by