Help! Time to cull, or does she have a fighting chance?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chikadeedoodah, Apr 27, 2009.

1. chikadeedoodah

chikadeedoodah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Hi All,
    I wrote previously with a question about my sweet baby cannibals (I mean chicks), and everyone was so helpful, thank you! Now that my little separated chick is in a bin with the same conditions as the other chicks (albeit she does have a purple butt from blue kote) I see why they were trying to cull her. Her breast is developing leaning clearly to one side, and her growth rate is MUCH slower than the other babies. I think they were trying to keep their genetic pool clean (they are much smarter than I thought. Cruel but smart). She is in the house now and she cries all the time unless she is being held. She doesn't seem in pain, but I'm not sure I would know what "pain" would look like on a chick. Has anyone had this problem with a chick? If so, is this something she can live through (albeit maybe she won't win any beauty contests?). Our little chick is so sweet, but I don't want her to suffer.... [​IMG]

2. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Are you sure you aren't seeing her crop, which makes the chest look lopsided at times? I wish your baby the best.

3. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    My first thought was her crop, also. The crying is probably not pain, but loneliness. If it's her crop, it will go down, and will fill up again when she eats.

4. chikadeedoodah

Apr 23, 2009
    Oh my Goodness, I think you're right. [​IMG] I think (or hope) it is her crop. I've never had chicks (raised with chickens but always full grown). and they just seem so fragile. She cries ALL THE TIME for affection. I want to put her in with her litter mates, but they want to eat her. I think there is "something" wrong with her (she isn't growing near as fast as the others), but if she is a happy chicken, and not in pain then we are going to give her EVERY chance we can to keep her going. [​IMG]

Thanks so much for this forum. This is a great place to get so much information from the chicken experts out here! If there is anything I can do for the crop, please let me know. I'll check again in the morning to see if our little lady has any change in her crop.

5. chikadeedoodah

Apr 23, 2009
    BTW, is there ANYTHING I can do for her loneliness? Aside from holding her 24/7, because the chicks at this point still would like to have her for dinner so reintegration at this point is NOT an option.

Thanks again.

6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Ohio
    What about getting her a buddy. Maybe a chick younger than her. I'm new to all this so not sure that is the right solution but it seems like she would be happy if she had at least one buddy and it sounds like she can't have anyone that is her age.

Karen

7. Stonerowfarm

Stonerowfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Cheshire, MA
    I've had a problem with a mean chickie who I had to separate from the rest. I put her and a flock mate who she didn't beat up on together.

It gave the rest of the girls a chance to heal and calmed her to have a mate with her.

Perhaps you could find a docile chick who won't bloody her but and try that out with supervision.

8. waibel zoo

waibel zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Sandy, UT
    A stuffed animal.

9. chikadeedoodah

Apr 23, 2009
    Well, I do have one very small chick that is a different breed than the others, (I got a McMurray rainbow laying special, so I have no idea what I have). Maybe I'll see if I can put that one in tomorrow. Thanks for the help everyone. She's sleeping now, first time she hasn't cried all day long when I wasn't holding her. [​IMG]

10. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    I've also heard a mirror and a feather duster that you hang and the chick can hide under, kinda like a mother hen. We did another chick buddy and a stuffed animal, as the previous posters recommended. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by