Help! Tin roof installation question

Caity

Songster
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
Central, NC
Im installing a tin roof, but have only ever installed polycarbonate before, so I have a couple questions--do I need to pre drill the hole so the metal has room to expand and contract? Also, do I need the wavy spacers like I do with a poly roof panel? And lastly, is it possible to overlap the roofing panels too much? I'm trying to get out of cutting it. It's a simple slanted flat roof so there are no joints or anything. Also, anything else crucial I might not know I'd really appreciate! Thanks!

if you use the self taping screws with the rubber gasket you should not need to pre drill holes. I also see no problem with overlapping. Its not until you are doing HUGE areas that you need to worry about expanding and contracting of the metal.

I used the nails with the rubber on them. I just hit it a few times and it went in the roof didn't drill any holes. Just over lap them and it should be good.

if you are using plain tin, not metal roofing.....overlap the ridges, hit the point of the ridge with your hammer just hard enough to make a dent where you want your nail to go. This gives you a kind of flat place to start your nail. I have been putting tin on buildings all my life, and this really makes it alot easier. I also prefer a lead headed nail, but I have used the rubber washer kind also with success. Make absolutely you are square or your tin will be way off by the time you finish. Hope this helps.

Caity, Tin roofs rock! I used a tin roof on mine and sometimes I go out and hang out with them when it rains...I just hope they enjoy it as much as I do :)
Just like yellowirenut said, the self-tapping screws that come with the little black rubber washer that serve as a gasket are the best way to go. You don't need to pound them with a hammer putting unnecessary dents in the roof that can pool water and lead to rust and leaks. Just get a cordless drill and driver bit to fit the head of the self-tapping screws and you're good! Just make sure when you're drilling the screw down through the roofing panel that there is something solid underneath for the screw to pass into. And post pics when you're done!

Thanks everyone! I (and my chickens) really appreciate the help. And thanks for responding so fast--I plan on getting started tonight.

Does your metal roof have ridges every foot or so? if so you will see that the first ridge on every sheet is prob bigger, that ridge is made to go over a ridge on the sheet in front of it. You will not need to pre drill, If you are going over a Shingle roof some people like to put furring stripes down first to help with air movement. When I redid my shed roof with metal ( brand new Shingles but no pitch to the roof ) I laid it right on top.

I attached the roof last night and it looks great. I'll have to wait for a windstorm to be sure, but it feels solid to me. Thanks for all the tips!

Back
Top Bottom