Help/tips for pregnant mini pig??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by willowcrestfarm, Sep 26, 2016.

1. willowcrestfarm

willowcrestfarm New Egg

Sep 26, 2016
    Hello! I am really hoping someone with experience could help me out. We took in a mini pig in July and it's become quite obvious over the past month that she is pregnant. I'm assuming she has to be quite close to farrowing but don't have any experience with mini pig pregnancy/birth. I've done quite a bit of reading but was hoping to get some tips for the birth and see if anyone knows how close she might be to the big day. She is huge and miserable! Thank you in advance for any help!! [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry these two are a bit graphic
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I've not dealt with mini pigs, but I used to raise regular size hogs. I don't remember ever having to assist a pig birthing. I made sure there was plenty of bedding in the pen and I would hang a heat lamp in the corner so the baby pigs had a warm place to lie away from the sow. If I were you, I would go onto amazon.com and order up a book on mini pigs, or even just pigs. The Storey books are usually very helpful. I would suggest you get a Storey book on hogs and also one on mini pigs. The reason I said that is because I think the Storey book might cover farrowing better than the mini pig book. I could be wrong on that, but the books are not all that expensive and when I have ordered from Amazon, things have arrived quickly.

3. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Oh, I didn't mention that it looks like your pig is close, so if it were up to me I would get the heat lamp right away. Don't wait.

4. willowcrestfarm

willowcrestfarm New Egg

Sep 26, 2016

Hey thanks! I plugged the heat lamp in just now. Thanks for the tips on the books too, I will definitely check them out!

5. GraceHomestead

GraceHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2016
    How did things go?!?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by