Help to diagnose prolapse please (with pictures)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Clueless22, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Clueless22

Clueless22 New Egg

Aug 6, 2011
    Noticed that one of our hens has a prolapse this morning. I have separated her from the others but do not want to go poking around until I really know what I am doing.
    I would appreciate some advice from a more experienced chicken-keeper! It all looks quite wet and almost transparent in parts, not like other pictures I have seen.
    Thank you
    Hope these pictures help...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Crack N' Egg

Crack N' Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Flemington, NJ
    Poor girl!! Sorry can't help, but eager to hear from others [​IMG] Hope someone can give you some guidance and you can fix her.

BUMP...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  3. Clueless22

Clueless22 New Egg

Aug 6, 2011
    Thanks Crack N' Egg! After much research I am going to add a bit of cider vinegar to her water, then clean the affected area before smearing on some honey. Delightful!

4. Clueless22

Clueless22 New Egg

Aug 6, 2011
    OK, I gave the prolapsed bit a long soak in warm water, which she seemed to love - in fact she fell asleep a couple of times. The I wiped it with a wet cloth. I let her run around for a minute to dry off then got my son to hold her still while I half poured/half smeared the honey on. I mixed the honey with a tiny bit of hot water to make it warm and runnier.
    Cider vinegar £4, Honey £4.95, new bed in her segregated area £32.99,
    Ideally I should be keeping her in a dark place to emulate winter so she stops laying for a while but there is a limit to my resources!! She seems to be seeking out the shade for herself anyway.
    I have NO IDEA if this is going to work but will update either way. Advice still welcomed.

5. Clueless22

Clueless22 New Egg

Aug 6, 2011
    Sadly no change. The honey was not a miracle cure as hoped. Have now combined honey with pushing the prolapse back in a couple of times but there is no improvement. [​IMG]

6. okiedrifter

okiedrifter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    this is what I found on google hope it helps

First line of defence – Treatment:

Chickens that show signs of prolapse can be helped by preventing them laying. However, if there is any small prolapse gently push it back into the chicken with your fingers. The chicken should then be put on a maintenance diet of wheat and water and put in a dark cage. Leave the hen there for a week.

In severe prolapse a purse suture and maintenance diet with the chicken kept in the dark, as above, works well. However, it is important to restrict the chickens diet to maintenance only for possibly a couple of months. This does work!! Alternative to maintenance diet is feeding the chicken enough to keep it alive, moving and keeping warm plus enough extra feed for it to produce eggs.

You may find that by reducing the feed it brings on a forced molt

By reducing feed intake so that the bird has just enough feed to keep it alive, moving and keeping warm you are feeding for maintenance only. The chicken will not lay eggs and so give it the best chance of recovery.

Treatment:
    You can try to push the prolapse organs back in, very carefully
    First, remove the hen immediately from the flock to prevent cannibalism
    Clean the prolapse organ
    Which will have become dirty
    Use warm water and a very mild soap
    Smear with a lubricating jelly like Vaseline and very gently push the prolapsed organs back into the body cavity

Isolating the bird and reduce the feed to try and stop her laying
    She more than likely she has another egg already moving down the oviduct
    The next egg laid could cause another prolapse

Helping to prevent further damage when a hen is prolapsed
    1. Reducing swelling and allowing the muscles to contract
    2. Preventing a yeast infection
    3. Preventing them laying
    4. If there is any small prolapse gently push it back into the chicken with your fingers
    5. Put the hen on a maintenance diet of wheat and water
    6. Put in a dark cage to stop the laying cycle (5 days to 2 months (severe case))
    7. In severe prolapse a purse suture may be need to the cloaca

Wash area with sterile water and using preparation-H (this is an ointment used for humans who have piles or hemaroids)
    Coat the extended portion in and around the vent area.
    Preparation -H reduces the swelling tissue and thus allows the tissue to recede.

If the bird is left in this condition, the other birds will peck at her, and she will become infected and fly blown, die from loss of blood or blood poisoning
    You should cull the bird immediately if this happens.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  7. GA_in_GA

GA_in_GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  8. Clueless22

Clueless22 New Egg

Aug 6, 2011
    Thank you all for the help. I reckon I may have done more harm than good by trying to push it back in as today there is a bit of intestines hanging down. Just waiting for my neighbour to come round and end her suffering. I would do it myself but I've never done it before and she's been through enough, poor hen [​IMG]

9. Crack N' Egg

Crack N' Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Flemington, NJ
    [​IMG] So sorry to hear it didn't work out [​IMG]

You did all you can, and that's what matters!

10. smallflock3

smallflock3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    I had a young cochin with a very bad prolapsed oviduct when she laid an egg way too early. It looked as bad if not worse than your picture. I had help from a few on here and it helped me through the night with her, the following is what I posted about her in the days after:
    The prolapse was so nasty I took the pullet to the Vet but in the meantime soaked her bottom and put KY jelly on it to lubricate it (so the tissue would not dry out) until she could be seen. They gave her an oral antibiotic and a steroid/antibiotic cream I pump into her cloaca. The Vet said people can use Prep H on the birds for this problem too. I rinse her cloaca twice a day with cool water (recommended to help shrink it) and then apply the cream. I separated her from her sibling and put her in a clean cage and made a perch in it to make her happy because she's a percher. I also brought her inside and am keeping her quiet and in dim lighting and not giving her a lot to eat (don't want her to pass another egg). So this is day 5 and I have cleaned off 95 % of this egg like substance and poop that stuck to her oviduct tissue. It's very hard to get off that is why keeping it lubricated and clean while it's out is important. I finally got the majority of it off of her and she pulled the oviduct in. I am still going to get the last little bit of it off of her on her next wash. This crud on her made it too uncomfortable for her to pull the prolapsed oviduct back in. She still blows it out when she poops but pulls in back in, so I know she's still not out of the woods yet. I just hope this helps someone else if it happens to your birds, don't give up on them as it is fixable. I read another comment on some other website where they said once the crud builds up on their oviduct that's about it, that there is no chance of helping the bird unless you do surgery I guess like a hysterectomy , but there is because it will come off if you work at it. That was a false statement, especially with my pullet, it looked very bad at first but with time and a little effort, her oviduct is almost clean again. She just needs to heal up before she passes anything else. The cleaner I get her the better.
    This was my birds outcome and she is still laying today with no more trouble. Of course I'm not saying this will work in every case but my bird looked awful too. Not all cases are the same, just had to post this though, and I wished I'd read your post sooner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by