Help to find an unremovable bracelet for confused patients?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by heatherindeskies, Oct 28, 2011.

1. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    My health care facility is looking for a new kind of bracelet to put on our confused (or combative) residents to let us know if they try to get outside. We need something strong that cannot be removed by the patient, only staff with appropriate tools. Currently we use a 1/2 inch copper bracelet where we drill a hole in the device that activates the alarm (a square plastic thing) and attach the copper chain to it and put in on the resident's wrist or ankle.
    Our current supplier is no longer making these chains and the boss is looking for something new. Another downside to the copper is it discolors itself and the patient's skin.
    Anyone have any ideas? Do you happen to know what they use on inmates to keep them from taking ID bracelets off?
    Thank you!

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    The tie wraps we sometimes use on legs will work, they have even been used to restrain hands, similar to handcuffs.
    Not as pleasant to look at, but gets the job done. And well within budget.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:You mean those plastic ones? They can get a pair of scissors and cut them off.

Something metal would work but dunno what it would be.

4. heatherindeskies

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    Thanks for your replies! Anyone else? [​IMG]

5. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:You mean zip ties? Don't see how that could work as they could get them off (With scissors, or anything sharp).

6. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Can I ask the price range your facility is looking at?

7. heatherindeskies

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    Quote:Sorry, I do not have that information. My boss did kinda choke when he was looking at other chains in the $80 range, so I guess that is out, lol.

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Doesnt your door alarm company provide the bracelets?

9. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    I would think that something like the medical alert bracelets, but made unremovable and with a chip. What about alarms on the doors that are opened without a code? That is what is used in the facility where my sister in love was. Or, the cost of an imbedded chip is cheaper than a lawsuit...

10. heatherindeskies

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    Quote:Not sure. They most likely supply the actual wandergaard device which sounds the door alarm and the standard bracelets which are just a thin plastic bracelet with the wandergaard device on.... but I know they do NOT provide the ones we need for patients who try to remove them. We buy those chains but need something new.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by