Help to find attacked hen

flakey chick

Songster
12 Years
May 3, 2007
Florida
What is the best way to coax a scared, possibly injured hen out of hiding?

My flock of 3 was "free ranging" under the front window. They were attacked by a neighbor's dog. It got the fluffy butt feathers of my BR bantam when we came after it. The dog ran one way and the hen ran the other way into the wooded area by our house. We have recovered the other flock members with the treat call. We also got the owners to tie up their dog. It's been almost 2 hours and we still haven't coaxed her out of hiding yet. Her flock mates are now hiding on the roost. I did not find any blood on the feathers where the dog attacked her and have not found any more blood or feathers. We have gone looking through the wooded area where I think she is, but have not seen or heard her.

They are good at hiding, and can fit into some pretty small spaces. Hopefully she'll come soon. Maybe she'll come home at dusk. Good luck

Imp

Ok,thanks. Its getting close to dusk and she hasn't come back yet. She doesn't come to the treat call and I brought her flock mates to the edge of the wooded area and fed them treats. Any other ideas? What if she doesn't come back tonight?

ETA The prodigal girl has returned! They are all cooped up together now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom