Help to ID these two hens and roos

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sandy001, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Sandy001

Sandy001 Just Hatched

Oct 15, 2016
    MIddle TN
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hello BYC Groups.
    I'm new as of today October 15/2016. And not sure if I am doing this correctly or not. A friend gave me these as baby chicks on May 17th so they are now right at 20 weeks old. I know I have two roos and two hen but what I don't know is what breed they are. Also when should I expect the hens to start laying? Thanks and I look forward to reading many post and posting pictures of my chickens. I also have 8 Barred Rock hens and one roo that I raised, they will be 24 weeks old this coming Wednesday October 19th and the 1st one laid her tiny first egg on Sept 1st at 17 weeks old and now I have 5 of the seven hens laying. Any help on the ID of the little guys would be most appreciated and Oh when might they start laying? The roo's are so cute and I love to hear them crow. I live on a cattle farm and no close neighbors so crowing isn't a problem.

2. anthrogirl

anthrogirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2016
    Fresno CA
    I think they're all mixed breed, the white one looks part Silkie (dark skin and feathered feet) maybe some easter Egger mixed in too?

3. Sandy001

Sandy001 Just Hatched

Oct 15, 2016
    MIddle TN
    Thank you for the reply anthrogirl.. Any one know when they might start laying? and oh what color eggs might they lay?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I agree they all have some Silkie, but what it's mixed with, I'm not sure. I could maybe see some bantam Cochin in the pullets (females), but not so much in the cockerels (males).

Silkies aren't wonderful layers like your barred Rocks are. they usually start laying around 6 months, but depending on the weather/how much daylight they get, it may be early spring before you start seeing eggs. I think they'll be small creamy light brown/tan/beige eggs.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x2

6. Sandy001

Sandy001 Just Hatched

Oct 15, 2016
    MIddle TN
    The little white one laid her first little egg on Saturday November 12th at 25 weeks old.. I was so excited when I heard her cackling and went out and she was in the nest box. I opened the door to the next box and she was sitting in there rearranging pine shavings before she actually laid her little egg. She was in the next box for about 30 minutes.

7. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Congrats![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by